The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 26, 2011, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Whistle Techniques

What is the technique to double tweet, or triple? I find mine to not be as crisp sounding as others.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 01:50am
Archaic Power Monger

Proper embouchure and practice.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 02:38am
I miss being on the floor

I always keep my tongue at the opening of the whistle while it's in my mouth. Instead of just blowing air into the whistle, I sort of hit it with my tongue while blowing...giving it the crisp sound.

It's sort of hard to explain. Did you play a wind instrument in the school band? Same concept as using your tongue to separate the notes.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 07:53am
This IS My Social Life

One If By... Two If By...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
What is the technique to double tweet, or triple? I find mine to not be as crisp sounding as others.
When would you use a "double tweet" or a "triple tweet"? Certainly not for violations or fouls, which call for a "single sharp blast", right? Perhaps for instances other than those, like bringing in subs, et al.?

Some note that crew consistency suffers when there's that one guy who toot-toot's or toot-toot-toot's on violations or fouls and the other partners properly give only the "single sharp blast".
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 08:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
When would you use a "double tweet" or a "triple tweet"? Certainly not for violations or fouls, which call for a "single sharp blast", right? Perhaps for instances other than those, like bringing in subs, et al.?

Some note that crew consistency suffers when there's that one guy who toot-toot's or toot-toot-toot's on violations or fouls and the other partners properly give only the "single sharp blast".
I will normally use multiple-tweets for a jump ball.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Partner is about to put the ball in play and you want to stop it -- late TO, sub you want to get in, you've just noticed a bleeder, ....
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 08:49am
This IS My Social Life

You Can Tweet on My Court Anytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Partner is about to put the ball in play and you want to stop it -- late TO, sub you want to get in, you've just noticed a bleeder, ....
When Bob toots, I listen.
When Bob toots twice, I listen twice as much.
Always listen to Bob when he toots.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When Bob toots, I listen.
When Bob toots twice, I listen twice as much.
Always listen to Bob when he toots.
Don't smell if he toots from the other end.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 10:43am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Freddy, when a crew gets to the point where how many times someone hits the whistle is a concern, that crew is doing great.

I am guilty of hitting my whistle multiple times for things like traveling, carrying, etc.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Freddy, when a crew gets to the point where how many times someone hits the whistle is a concern, that crew is doing great.

I am guilty of hitting my whistle multiple times for things like traveling, carrying, etc.

Same here. As long as your whistle doesn't sound like an asthmatic bird or playing Mozart, loud and sharp is all I want.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I always keep my tongue at the opening of the whistle while it's in my mouth. Instead of just blowing air into the whistle, I sort of hit it with my tongue while blowing...giving it the crisp sound.
Enirely too much information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post

Me, too. Especially when he blows by someone with a quick first step travel or my partner may have a foul but I have the travel first.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 12:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

My idol, Earl Strom, would tweet once, quick pause, then tweet twice when calling fouls. It was his sign to the players not to protest the call - or else!
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 12:12pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
..Especially when he blows by someone with a quick first step travel or my partner may have a foul but I have the travel first.
Exactly.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 12:18pm
This IS My Social Life

But If Symptoms Last More Than Four Hours . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Est magnum volumen in mea toga.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 06:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Oh Why ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I will normally use multiple-tweets for a jump ball.
Same around these parts. I don't know why we do it? It's not an approved mechanic. We don't teach our rookies to do it. But most of us do it. Go figure?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)