The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I was just looking through the rules book in the blocking techniques part and thought of a question. Where do we as officials draw the line with a player using his forearm to block instead of his hands? it says that the player's elbow should not be in advance of the hands, when we see this type of "Shaq Defense" blocking where do we draw the line? Should we ask them to try not to block that way or just let it go, or just flag them on the spot?

QCA (questions comments answers)
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Two points re your question:

1. Is the blocking action, although technically "illegal" by the book, creating an advantage/disadvantage?

2. Is the blocking action such that it could injure the player being blocked, (i.e., is it a safety issue)?

If you've got either, then maybe you've got a foul. Flagrant use of a forearm, for example, probably rates a personal foul as opposed to a hold/illegal use of hands foul.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

When I first read that section, I thought it meant normal straight ahead blocking, in which case having the elbows in front of the hands is almost physically impossible. I think that the intent of the rule is to prevent initiating contact with the elbow. I agree that a personal foul is more likely to be called in this situation than a holding or illegal use of hands call.
"Football is a great deal like life in that it teaches that work, sacrifice, perseverance, competitive drive, selflessness and respect for authority. That is the price that each and every one of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile." - Vince Lombardi
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Also agree with that interpretation. Purpose of the rule is to prevent contact with the elbow. Also agree that the most probable call is a personal foul. Why have it in the blocking rules then? Tough to call A PF on a legal technique.
BTW had a call in a baseball game recently where a runner did just that Swung the forearm and elbow into a fielder. So used to this being on the FB field, I started reaching for my flag.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
IN actuality I was just really bored a couple of days ago, thanks for replying. I would be very surprised if I ever called this or see this called. NO Bo's!
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm almost 49 years old,when I played in the early 70's using the forearms was the legal blocking style,as was butt blocking. I can still here the ole coach yelling to "stick your face in his chest". When I started officiating 6 years ago I was suprised at all that had changed!