The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Whistle Techniques (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85101-whistle-techniques.html)

NCHSAA Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:23pm

Whistle Techniques

What is the technique to double tweet, or triple? I find mine to not be as crisp sounding as others.

Welpe Tue Dec 27, 2011 01:50am

Proper embouchure and practice.

stiffler3492 Tue Dec 27, 2011 02:38am

I always keep my tongue at the opening of the whistle while it's in my mouth. Instead of just blowing air into the whistle, I sort of hit it with my tongue while blowing...giving it the crisp sound.

It's sort of hard to explain. Did you play a wind instrument in the school band? Same concept as using your tongue to separate the notes.

Freddy Tue Dec 27, 2011 07:53am

One If By... Two If By...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 808431)
What is the technique to double tweet, or triple? I find mine to not be as crisp sounding as others.

When would you use a "double tweet" or a "triple tweet"? Certainly not for violations or fouls, which call for a "single sharp blast", right? Perhaps for instances other than those, like bringing in subs, et al.?

Some note that crew consistency suffers when there's that one guy who toot-toot's or toot-toot-toot's on violations or fouls and the other partners properly give only the "single sharp blast".

grunewar Tue Dec 27, 2011 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 808483)
When would you use a "double tweet" or a "triple tweet"? Certainly not for violations or fouls, which call for a "single sharp blast", right? Perhaps for instances other than those, like bringing in subs, et al.?

Some note that crew consistency suffers when there's that one guy who toot-toot's or toot-toot-toot's on violations or fouls and the other partners properly give only the "single sharp blast".

I will normally use multiple-tweets for a jump ball.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 27, 2011 08:43am

Quote:

Partner is about to put the ball in play and you want to stop it -- late TO, sub you want to get in, you've just noticed a bleeder, ....

Freddy Tue Dec 27, 2011 08:49am

You Can Tweet on My Court Anytime

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 808491)
Partner is about to put the ball in play and you want to stop it -- late TO, sub you want to get in, you've just noticed a bleeder, ....

When Bob toots, I listen.
When Bob toots twice, I listen twice as much.
Always listen to Bob when he toots. :D

Indianaref Tue Dec 27, 2011 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 808493)
When Bob toots, I listen.
When Bob toots twice, I listen twice as much.
Always listen to Bob when he toots. :D

Don't smell if he toots from the other end.

tomegun Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:43am

Quote:

Freddy, when a crew gets to the point where how many times someone hits the whistle is a concern, that crew is doing great.

I am guilty of hitting my whistle multiple times for things like traveling, carrying, etc.

SNIPERBBB Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 808509)
Freddy, when a crew gets to the point where how many times someone hits the whistle is a concern, that crew is doing great.

I am guilty of hitting my whistle multiple times for things like traveling, carrying, etc.

Same here. As long as your whistle doesn't sound like an asthmatic bird or playing Mozart, loud and sharp is all I want.

BktBallRef Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 808473)
I always keep my tongue at the opening of the whistle while it's in my mouth. Instead of just blowing air into the whistle, I sort of hit it with my tongue while blowing...giving it the crisp sound.

Enirely too much information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 808509)

Me, too. Especially when he blows by someone with a quick first step travel or my partner may have a foul but I have the travel first.

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:11pm

My idol, Earl Strom, would tweet once, quick pause, then tweet twice when calling fouls. It was his sign to the players not to protest the call - or else! :eek:

tomegun Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 808520)
..Especially when he blows by someone with a quick first step travel or my partner may have a foul but I have the travel first.

Exactly.

Freddy Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:18pm

But If Symptoms Last More Than Four Hours . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 808524)
:eek:

Est magnum volumen in mea toga.

BillyMac Tue Dec 27, 2011 06:02pm

Why Oh Why ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 808489)
I will normally use multiple-tweets for a jump ball.

Same around these parts. I don't know why we do it? It's not an approved mechanic. We don't teach our rookies to do it. But most of us do it. Go figure?