The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 08:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Exclamation

Anybody happen to catch the Royals/Red Sox game last night? Aside from another Sox bullpen collapse, here's the thing that caught my eye from an officiating point of view.

Top of the 8th, Boston runner on first. On the pitch, the runner attempts a steal of second base. The catcher's throw just barely beats him there, but is high. By the time the shortstop puts the tag on the runner, he tags his hip and the runner's hand is on the base.

The umpire spreads both arms out wide. The left hand is open with the palm down in a "safe" gesture. The right hand punches the runner "out". I swear, that's what happened. He gave the safe and out signals at the same time.

The shortstop trotted off thinking he'd just recorded the third out, and the runner just laid there touching the base. They showed the catcher standing at home plate holding his mask with the huge goofy smile on his face and mouthing "What the f*@#$? What the f@#$?"

It was hysterical. Turned out the runner was called safe (which was the right call, according to the replay). Pretty funny to see everybody think that the call went their way!

Chuck
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 08:41am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Anybody happen to catch the Royals/Red Sox game last night? Aside from another Sox bullpen collapse, here's the thing that caught my eye from an officiating point of view.

Top of the 8th, Boston runner on first. On the pitch, the runner attempts a steal of second base. The catcher's throw just barely beats him there, but is high. By the time the shortstop puts the tag on the runner, he tags his hip and the runner's hand is on the base.

The umpire spreads both arms out wide. The left hand is open with the palm down in a "safe" gesture. The right hand punches the runner "out". I swear, that's what happened. He gave the safe and out signals at the same time.

The shortstop trotted off thinking he'd just recorded the third out, and the runner just laid there touching the base. They showed the catcher standing at home plate holding his mask with the huge goofy smile on his face and mouthing "What the f*@#$? What the f@#$?"

It was hysterical. Turned out the runner was called safe (which was the right call, according to the replay). Pretty funny to see everybody think that the call went their way!

Chuck
Oh sure! Funny where you were sitting....

After the safe call, are you sure the ump didn't point at the hip (the high tag) with his right hand in an effort to sell the call?
mick
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 09:36am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Anybody happen to catch the Royals/Red Sox game last night?
I noticed that your shortstop must be
taking lessons at the Bill Buckner Fielding Academy!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 09:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
To be fair, he was partially screened by the runner going to third; but he still should've come up with it. The sad part is, Nomar's the one who tied the game up with a home run. Then he couldn't come up with the routine grounder.
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 737
Exclamation

Wouldn't this be a better topic in the baseball forum instead?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 12:21pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Wouldn't this be a better topic in the baseball forum instead?
Something is often better than nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Wouldn't this be a better topic in the baseball forum instead?
Yes, but I don't know if Dan and JR read the baseball board. I wanted to give them fair opportunity to make fun of the Sox loss yesterday
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 03:11pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Tigers are streaking!

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Wouldn't this be a better topic in the baseball forum instead?
Yes, but I don't know if Dan and JR read the baseball board. I wanted to give them fair opportunity to make fun of the Sox loss yesterday
2.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 05:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,453
Re: Tigers are streaking!

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Wouldn't this be a better topic in the baseball forum instead?
Yes, but I don't know if Dan and JR read the baseball board. I wanted to give them fair opportunity to make fun of the Sox loss yesterday
2.
I think it is now 3. They beat the Orioles 6-5 last night. My younger son is an Oriole fan and he is going up to Camden Yard for the afternoon game (think it is at 3:00. Today is his birthday and his boss gave him 4 tickets for the game. Being a Yankee fan (isn't everyone?), I told him his boss probably got the tickets at a fire sale.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 11, 2003, 08:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The umpire in question made SportsCenter's "Not Top Ten" yesterday. I don't know if they include video archives on the website, but it might worth looking for. Pretty funny.
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 11, 2003, 08:21am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
I saw that.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
The umpire in question made SportsCenter's "Not Top Ten" yesterday. I don't know if they include video archives on the website, but it might worth looking for. Pretty funny.
It was funny. It was weird.
But, I think there was "Much ado about nothing".
I gotta believe he kicked himself even before his partners busted him in the ump house.
It happens.
mick
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 11, 2003, 10:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: I saw that.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I gotta believe he kicked himself even before his partners busted him in the ump house.
I have to admit that this was my first thought when seeing it live. I thought, "Oh man, is he gonna catch it after the game!" Gotta love refs raggin' on each other. (After all, it happens to me all the time on this board!!)
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 11, 2003, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,453
Re: Re: I saw that.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I gotta believe he kicked himself even before his partners busted him in the ump house.
I have to admit that this was my first thought when seeing it live. I thought, "Oh man, is he gonna catch it after the game!" Gotta love refs raggin' on each other. (After all, it happens to me all the time on this board!!)
Aw, c'mon now. If we didn't care, we wouldn't rag you. On second thought, yes we would. Yankees rule!!!!!
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1