The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Very strange mechanics! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/8501-very-strange-mechanics.html)

ChuckElias Tue May 06, 2003 08:30am

Anybody happen to catch the Royals/Red Sox game last night? Aside from another Sox bullpen collapse, here's the thing that caught my eye from an officiating point of view.

Top of the 8th, Boston runner on first. On the pitch, the runner attempts a steal of second base. The catcher's throw just barely beats him there, but is high. By the time the shortstop puts the tag on the runner, he tags his hip and the runner's hand is on the base.

The umpire spreads both arms out wide. The left hand is open with the palm down in a "safe" gesture. The right hand punches the runner "out". I swear, that's what happened. He gave the safe and out signals at the same time.

The shortstop trotted off thinking he'd just recorded the third out, and the runner just laid there touching the base. They showed the catcher standing at home plate holding his mask with the huge goofy smile on his face and mouthing "What the f*@#$? What the f@#$?"

It was hysterical. Turned out the runner was called safe (which was the right call, according to the replay). Pretty funny to see everybody think that the call went their way!

Chuck

mick Tue May 06, 2003 08:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Anybody happen to catch the Royals/Red Sox game last night? Aside from another Sox bullpen collapse, here's the thing that caught my eye from an officiating point of view.

Top of the 8th, Boston runner on first. On the pitch, the runner attempts a steal of second base. The catcher's throw just barely beats him there, but is high. By the time the shortstop puts the tag on the runner, he tags his hip and the runner's hand is on the base.

The umpire spreads both arms out wide. The left hand is open with the palm down in a "safe" gesture. The right hand punches the runner "out". I swear, that's what happened. He gave the safe and out signals at the same time.

The shortstop trotted off thinking he'd just recorded the third out, and the runner just laid there touching the base. They showed the catcher standing at home plate holding his mask with the huge goofy smile on his face and mouthing "What the f*@#$? What the f@#$?"

It was hysterical. Turned out the runner was called safe (which was the right call, according to the replay). Pretty funny to see everybody think that the call went their way!

Chuck

Oh sure! Funny where you were sitting....

After the safe call, are you sure the ump didn't point at the hip (the high tag) with his right hand in an effort to sell the call? :)
mick

Jurassic Referee Tue May 06, 2003 09:36am

Quote:

Anybody happen to catch the Royals/Red Sox game last night?
I noticed that your shortstop must be
taking lessons at the Bill Buckner Fielding Academy!

ChuckElias Tue May 06, 2003 09:52am

To be fair, he was partially screened by the runner going to third; but he still should've come up with it. The sad part is, Nomar's the one who tied the game up with a home run. Then he couldn't come up with the routine grounder. :(

TriggerMN Tue May 06, 2003 12:19pm

Wouldn't this be a better topic in the baseball forum instead?

mick Tue May 06, 2003 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TriggerMN
Something is often better than nothing.

ChuckElias Tue May 06, 2003 02:09pm

Quote:

Yes, but I don't know if Dan and JR read the baseball board. I wanted to give them fair opportunity to make fun of the Sox loss yesterday :(

mick Tue May 06, 2003 03:11pm

Tigers are streaking!

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, but I don't know if Dan and JR read the baseball board. I wanted to give them fair opportunity to make fun of the Sox loss yesterday :(

dblref Wed May 07, 2003 05:30am

Re: Tigers are streaking!

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Quote:

I think it is now 3. They beat the Orioles 6-5 last night. My younger son is an Oriole fan and he is going up to Camden Yard for the afternoon game (think it is at 3:00. Today is his birthday and his boss gave him 4 tickets for the game. Being a Yankee fan (isn't everyone?), I told him his boss probably got the tickets at a fire sale. :D

ChuckElias Sun May 11, 2003 08:11am

The umpire in question made SportsCenter's "Not Top Ten" yesterday. I don't know if they include video archives on the website, but it might worth looking for. Pretty funny.

mick Sun May 11, 2003 08:21am

I saw that.

Quote:

The umpire in question made SportsCenter's "Not Top Ten" yesterday. I don't know if they include video archives on the website, but it might worth looking for. Pretty funny.
It <u>was</u> funny. :) It was weird. :rolleyes:
But, I think there was "Much ado about nothing".
I gotta believe he kicked himself even before his partners busted him in the ump house.
It happens.
mick

ChuckElias Sun May 11, 2003 10:11am

Re: I saw that.

Quote:

I gotta believe he kicked himself even before his partners busted him in the ump house.
I have to admit that this was my first thought when seeing it live. I thought, "Oh man, is he gonna catch it after the game!" Gotta love refs raggin' on each other. (After all, it happens to me all the time on this board!!) :)

dblref Sun May 11, 2003 07:05pm

Re: Re: I saw that.

Quote:

Quote:

I have to admit that this was my first thought when seeing it live. I thought, "Oh man, is he gonna catch it after the game!" Gotta love refs raggin' on each other. (After all, it happens to me all the time on this board!!) :)

Aw, c'mon now. If we didn't care, we wouldn't rag you. On second thought, yes we would. Yankees rule!!!!!