The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

The question is for My Brothers & Sister Officials is; Do your state assosations have seperate boards for woman and mens basketball? and if so Why? or why not. Is it a good idea or not? Any Input woukd be helpful.
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Being from Montana, we just this past year changed girls' basketball from the fall to winter to correspond to the boys' season. When our seasons were seperate, there were two different boards, so to speak, for evaluating officials, scheduling games, etc. Now with one season, one board is all that's needed.
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Do the officials work all the games do you have officials that only want to work men's is there a difference in the game?
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 03:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Iowa does, but not Illinois.

Not in Illinois, but Iowa does for some reason. Cannot tell you why Iowa does it that way, but I used to officiate Baseball in Iowa. Iowa BTW is the only state that I am aware of that plays Baseball and Softball during the summer. Iowa Softball had their own rulebook and did not use any NF Rules or Mechanics. And Iowa has had 6 on 6 Basketball on the girl's side.

I have no idea why they have it that way, but they do.

Peace
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 03:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
And Iowa has had 6 on 6 Basketball on the girl's side.

Are you sure?
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Are you sure?
Yes, they have. They were one of the very last states to get rid of it.

In NC, there are no separate "boards." We work girls and boys.
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 06:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure?

Right,the old 3 up/3back way.Remember now.
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 06:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

I really do not know.

Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure?
No not at all, I just used to watch that crazy game on Public Access TV when they had their State Tournament when I was younger. I pretty sure I made that up. I have no idea why I mentioned it. Just for kicks and giggles maybe?

Peace
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 07:09pm
In Memoriam

Now I also remember why I usually ignore your posts.
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 07:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation We have something in common.

Quote:
Now I also remember why I usually ignore your posts.
If you did not respond to my post, I would have had no clue you still were alive.

Peace
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 08:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure?

Right,the old 3 up/3back way.Remember now.
In 1963 and maybe after, Michigan 6-on-6 was played with two defenders, two forwards and two floaters.
The defenders played in the back court; the forwards played only in the front court and the floaters played on both ends.
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 08:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

In 1963 and maybe after, Michigan 6-on-6 was played with two defenders, two forwards and two floaters.
The defenders played in the back court; the forwards played only in the front court and the floaters played on both ends.

You know I lived in Michigan until I was about 4 years old. I have lived in Illinois for about 26 years since. I was born in the 70s, I am sure that is not the case. You know I have family that knows this for sure.

Peace
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 09:01pm
In Memoriam

Re: Are you sure?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

You know I lived in Michigan until I was about 4 years old. I have lived in Illinois for about 26 years since. I was born in the 70s, I am sure that is not the case. You know I have family that knows this for sure.

Peace
Ah, kids....
Yeah, my neighbor played. She was a senior when I as a sophomore. She was pretty good my driveway and better on the court.
Old Sun May 11, 2003, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

In Nevada there are three HS boards: North, South, and East.
I'm in the North. Due to the way the schedule is done up here, we work both boys and girls in the same night. In the North, the 4A (largest) schools play three games at each site on game nights. One site has three of the four lower level games (JV and FR), while the other site hosts the remaining lower level game at 3:45PM followed by the two Varsity games. Which lower level game is played with the varsity games rotates from year to year. Typically, an official will get assigned the JV/FR game and then one of the two Varsity games or be assigned the Varsity double-header, but not all three. Smaller schools play GJV, BJV, GV, BV all at one site and only a few have FR teams, which will play some other day. Some don't even have JVs.
So an official could do a boys FR game and then a GV after.
Now the East only has one 4A school, so teams send all three boys teams or all three girls teams due to busing rules, but not a mix.
However, the South (read as Las Vegas) is different. When two schools play, the three boys teams will be at one site and the three girls teams at the other. They start at 5PM and use the small gym for the FR game, while simultaneously playing the JV game in the large gym. The Varsity game follows the JV game. This allows the assigner to give officials boys games or girls games by selecting the appropriate site. Upon speaking with him personally, I have learned that only one official out of about 250 refuses to do girls games, so he simply rotates the officials back and forth.
Old Sun May 11, 2003, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Here in western Mass, we have a boys' board and a girls' board. Up until 3 years ago, only members of the boys board could do boys games and only members of the girls board could do girls games. That changed three years ago, at the request of the girls' head coaches, and now officials from the boys board work girls games as well. To make things "fair" (i.e., so that the boys board didn't "steal" all the assignments from the girls board), members of the girls board are also allowed to work boys games. So there's really no more reason to have two boards.

The difference, however, is cost. Dues for the boys board are $100/season. Dues for the girls board are about $40/season I think.

Eventually, I think, we will see the "phasing out" of the girls board and the merging of the boards into one organization under the IAABO umbrella. It's really stupid to have two boards and the main difference between the two is cost.

The training is clearly better on the boys board, but for officials only interested in the money, they don't care about the training anyway. They figure they can get HS games (including boys games) and save $60/yr in dues. It's stupid, but that's the way it is.