The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Stolen from YouTube.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84962-stolen-youtube.html)

Loudwhistle2 Fri Dec 23, 2011 07:04pm

[QUOTE=RichMSN;807779]I prefer, "Keep moving, keep moving" said in that player's direction.
I stole that from one of your posts about three -four years ago and it works well for me. How many times do other officials warn before calling three seconds? I usually give two verbal hints and then bust them at the varsity level.

fullor30 Fri Dec 23, 2011 07:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 807823)
Continuing warnings are tiresome. If I'm still talking to post players in the third quarter, I'm not getting my message across. I'll talk early, but a whistle and an off-ball foul will get the message across much better, I've found.

Yup......

Brad Sat Dec 24, 2011 06:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 807699)
"I didn't even curse!"

That was the best one!! LOL

Lcubed48 Sun Dec 25, 2011 07:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 807695)
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this. I was laughing out loud. Not sure if anyone's ever posted this, so I will here:

I enjoyed the ending comment - "you got outplayed, don't blame the referees".

deecee Mon Dec 26, 2011 01:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 807813)
Least favorite call one keep moving and after that blow the whistle.

Murphy's law, whenever I'm watching for 3 seconds, I miss something.

Continuing warnings are dead wrong.

Maybe you do but a 3 second call doesn't need you to have your eyes fixated on the player for the whole duration. I say "Clear" once. if the player makes no attempt then they get the violation. In an average varsity contest I might have 1 or 2 on the girls side and maybe one on the boys side.

Tio Tue Dec 27, 2011 04:03pm

We probably shouldn't play this video at new official training classes. :)

Rich Tue Dec 27, 2011 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 808256)
Maybe you do but a 3 second call doesn't need you to have your eyes fixated on the player for the whole duration. I say "Clear" once. if the player makes no attempt then they get the violation. In an average varsity contest I might have 1 or 2 on the girls side and maybe one on the boys side.

Really? One per game in boys varsity? I may have one per month and I'm not afraid to make this call when it's there and needs to be made.

Adam Tue Dec 27, 2011 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 808592)
Really? One per game in boys varsity? I may have one per month and I'm not afraid to make this call when it's there and needs to be made.

I'll probably call it 3 or 4 times in a season.

Rich Tue Dec 27, 2011 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 808599)
I'll probably call it 3 or 4 times in a season.

Yup, once a month. :D

I've called one so far this season in 14 varsity games. By the time the players get to the varsity level, they should know to "keep moving."

Adam Tue Dec 27, 2011 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 808603)
Yup, once a month. :D

I've called one so far this season in 14 varsity games. By the time the players get to the varsity level, they should know to "keep moving."

:D

I'll end up giving more reminders in JV games, but I don't normally call it much more.

Rich Tue Dec 27, 2011 09:38pm

I called one tonight.

Worked a 6:20 game (the 7th of 8 games with only 1:35 between games and they were on schedule) and was off the floor by 7:35. Eight minute halftime, no anthem. Me likey.

College length floor, 2-whistle. A good run tonight. I watched the first quarter of the finale - a boys game with 2 of the top 2 big school teams in the area. Again, 2-whistle. Those guys were really hauling a$$.

bainsey Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 808603)
By the time the players get to the varsity level, they should know to "keep moving."

+1

I'd extend that down to middle school, as well. I remember being taught this rule playing pee-wee basketball at age 9, and even back then, no-one ever told us to keep moving. You learn from making those infractions.

Rich Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 808662)
+1

I'd extend that down to middle school, as well. I remember being taught this rule playing pee-wee basketball at age 9, and even back then, no-one ever told us to keep moving. You learn from making those infractions.

I think you misread me. I'm a proponent of telling them to "keep moving" but this was not early and pretty blatant.