The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Weird T Situation

B1 fouls A1 during a shot attempt as time expires to end the third quarter. None of the officials have certain knowledge of any time that should be left on the clock. Immediately after the official whistles the foul, A2 commits an intentional technical foul on B2. The arrow is pointing to A's basket.

I need to understand a few things. Am I right in saying that the technical foul occurred in the third quarter? Because A1's free throws should be a part of the 3rd quarter, and they haven't occurred yet?

So, we have a false double foul. A1 shoots two free throws, followed by 2 free throws by a B player.

My question is now how is the second part of the penalty administered? Since the T occurred in the third quarter, does the second part of the penalty (ball out of bounds at the division line opposite the table) carry over into the fourth quarter? If so, what is the rule justification?

TIA...
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Handled correctly, and the throw-in for the T does not carry over.

A inbounds the ball (using the AP arrow) to start the 4th quarter.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
B1 fouls A1 during a shot attempt as time expires to end the third quarter. None of the officials have certain knowledge of any time that should be left on the clock. Immediately after the official whistles the foul, A2 commits an intentional technical foul on B2. The arrow is pointing to A's basket.

I need to understand a few things. Am I right in saying that the technical foul occurred in the third quarter? Because A1's free throws should be a part of the 3rd quarter, and they haven't occurred yet?

So, we have a false double foul. A1 shoots two free throws, followed by 2 free throws by a B player.

My question is now how is the second part of the penalty administered? Since the T occurred in the third quarter, does the second part of the penalty (ball out of bounds at the division line opposite the table) carry over into the fourth quarter? If so, what is the rule justification?

TIA...
All the action occured as part of the 3rd quarter. Consequently, you administer it that way. The free throws by A. Followed by the free throws for the technical by team B. Resume play in the 4th period with the AP arrow.

The action for the 3rd quarter doesn't end until the free throws by team A had been completed. So as Team A was charged with a technical before the 3rd quarter action completed, it is also considered part of the quarter.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
All the action occured as part of the 3rd quarter. Consequently, you administer it that way. The free throws by A. Followed by the free throws for the technical by team B. Resume play in the 4th period with the AP arrow.

The action for the 3rd quarter doesn't end until the free throws by team A had been completed. So as Team A was charged with a technical before the 3rd quarter action completed, it is also considered part of the quarter.
Thanks. This is one of those situations that is difficult to explain to a coach while everything is going on, and in a heated game, that "loss" of possession could make a big difference, but them's the rules!
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. This is one of those situations that is difficult to explain to a coach while everything is going on, and in a heated game, that "loss" of possession could make a big difference, but them's the rules!
Anytime.

Incidentally, I hope your crew didn't add any time to the clock...am I correct in that?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anytime.

Incidentally, I hope your crew didn't add any time to the clock...am I correct in that?
No we did not. I called the foul and stayed with the players (it was a pretty heated game) which is how I caught the T. I asked my partner if he caught the clock before time expired. He said he thought maybe there was a few ticks but he didn't know for sure, so we left it at zeroes.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No we did not. I called the foul and stayed with the players (it was a pretty heated game) which is how I caught the T. I asked my partner if he caught the clock before time expired. He said he thought maybe there was a few ticks but he didn't know for sure, so we left it at zeroes.
Training ourselves to sneak a peak after every whistle is not a bad thing, especially if you're the non-calling official.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 04:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Training ourselves to sneak a peak after every whistle is not a bad thing, especially if you're the non-calling official.
Around here, it's a requirement.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Can you ask for help from the table in whether or not there should be any time put back? What if the clock operator acknowledges he couldn't get it off at the whistle?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglingreferee View Post
around here, it's a requirement.
+1
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anytime.

If you have a foul as time expires, you MUST add time to the clock. In GA, this has been a POE the past couple of years. .....You must at least have .03. If the whistle occurs prior to time expiring, you must add time to the clock.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
If you have a foul as time expires, you MUST add time to the clock. In GA, this has been a POE the past couple of years. .....You must at least have .03. If the whistle occurs prior to time expiring, you must add time to the clock.
That may be a state association interpretation, but that is not the NFHS rule.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:45pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
If you have a foul as time expires, you MUST add time to the clock.
Based on what?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
That may be a state association interpretation, but that is not the NFHS rule.
Yes...This is a GA interpretation....However I agree with it. If there is a foul during a shot attempt you must have time on the clock, otherwise there is no foul.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes...This is a GA interpretation....However I agree with it. If there is a foul during a shot attempt you must have time on the clock, otherwise there is no foul.
The NBA has a similiar rule.

Georgia makes up their own.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith