The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Weird T Situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84844-weird-t-situation.html)

fiasco Wed Dec 21, 2011 03:32pm

Weird T Situation

B1 fouls A1 during a shot attempt as time expires to end the third quarter. None of the officials have certain knowledge of any time that should be left on the clock. Immediately after the official whistles the foul, A2 commits an intentional technical foul on B2. The arrow is pointing to A's basket.

I need to understand a few things. Am I right in saying that the technical foul occurred in the third quarter? Because A1's free throws should be a part of the 3rd quarter, and they haven't occurred yet?

So, we have a false double foul. A1 shoots two free throws, followed by 2 free throws by a B player.

My question is now how is the second part of the penalty administered? Since the T occurred in the third quarter, does the second part of the penalty (ball out of bounds at the division line opposite the table) carry over into the fourth quarter? If so, what is the rule justification?

TIA...

bob jenkins Wed Dec 21, 2011 03:47pm

Handled correctly, and the throw-in for the T does not carry over.

A inbounds the ball (using the AP arrow) to start the 4th quarter.

Toren Wed Dec 21, 2011 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 807056)
B1 fouls A1 during a shot attempt as time expires to end the third quarter. None of the officials have certain knowledge of any time that should be left on the clock. Immediately after the official whistles the foul, A2 commits an intentional technical foul on B2. The arrow is pointing to A's basket.

I need to understand a few things. Am I right in saying that the technical foul occurred in the third quarter? Because A1's free throws should be a part of the 3rd quarter, and they haven't occurred yet?

So, we have a false double foul. A1 shoots two free throws, followed by 2 free throws by a B player.

My question is now how is the second part of the penalty administered? Since the T occurred in the third quarter, does the second part of the penalty (ball out of bounds at the division line opposite the table) carry over into the fourth quarter? If so, what is the rule justification?

TIA...

All the action occured as part of the 3rd quarter. Consequently, you administer it that way. The free throws by A. Followed by the free throws for the technical by team B. Resume play in the 4th period with the AP arrow.

The action for the 3rd quarter doesn't end until the free throws by team A had been completed. So as Team A was charged with a technical before the 3rd quarter action completed, it is also considered part of the quarter.

fiasco Wed Dec 21, 2011 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 807070)
All the action occured as part of the 3rd quarter. Consequently, you administer it that way. The free throws by A. Followed by the free throws for the technical by team B. Resume play in the 4th period with the AP arrow.

The action for the 3rd quarter doesn't end until the free throws by team A had been completed. So as Team A was charged with a technical before the 3rd quarter action completed, it is also considered part of the quarter.

Thanks. This is one of those situations that is difficult to explain to a coach while everything is going on, and in a heated game, that "loss" of possession could make a big difference, but them's the rules!

Toren Wed Dec 21, 2011 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 807084)
Thanks. This is one of those situations that is difficult to explain to a coach while everything is going on, and in a heated game, that "loss" of possession could make a big difference, but them's the rules!

Anytime.

Incidentally, I hope your crew didn't add any time to the clock...am I correct in that?

fiasco Wed Dec 21, 2011 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 807086)
Anytime.

Incidentally, I hope your crew didn't add any time to the clock...am I correct in that?

No we did not. I called the foul and stayed with the players (it was a pretty heated game) which is how I caught the T. I asked my partner if he caught the clock before time expired. He said he thought maybe there was a few ticks but he didn't know for sure, so we left it at zeroes.

tref Wed Dec 21, 2011 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 807089)
No we did not. I called the foul and stayed with the players (it was a pretty heated game) which is how I caught the T. I asked my partner if he caught the clock before time expired. He said he thought maybe there was a few ticks but he didn't know for sure, so we left it at zeroes.

Training ourselves to sneak a peak after every whistle is not a bad thing, especially if you're the non-calling official.

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 21, 2011 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 807101)
Training ourselves to sneak a peak after every whistle is not a bad thing, especially if you're the non-calling official.

Around here, it's a requirement.

letemplay Wed Dec 21, 2011 04:55pm

Can you ask for help from the table in whether or not there should be any time put back? What if the clock operator acknowledges he couldn't get it off at the whistle?

kwatson Wed Dec 21, 2011 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jugglingreferee (Post 807104)
around here, it's a requirement.

+1

refiator Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 807086)
Anytime.

If you have a foul as time expires, you MUST add time to the clock. In GA, this has been a POE the past couple of years. .....You must at least have .03. If the whistle occurs prior to time expiring, you must add time to the clock.

APG Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 807265)
If you have a foul as time expires, you MUST add time to the clock. In GA, this has been a POE the past couple of years. .....You must at least have .03. If the whistle occurs prior to time expiring, you must add time to the clock.

That may be a state association interpretation, but that is not the NFHS rule.

just another ref Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 807265)
If you have a foul as time expires, you MUST add time to the clock.

Based on what?

refiator Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 807266)
That may be a state association interpretation, but that is not the NFHS rule.

Yes...This is a GA interpretation....However I agree with it. If there is a foul during a shot attempt you must have time on the clock, otherwise there is no foul.

BktBallRef Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 807268)
Yes...This is a GA interpretation....However I agree with it. If there is a foul during a shot attempt you must have time on the clock, otherwise there is no foul.

The NBA has a similiar rule.

Georgia makes up their own. :)