View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
B1 fouls A1 during a shot attempt as time expires to end the third quarter. None of the officials have certain knowledge of any time that should be left on the clock. Immediately after the official whistles the foul, A2 commits an intentional technical foul on B2. The arrow is pointing to A's basket.

I need to understand a few things. Am I right in saying that the technical foul occurred in the third quarter? Because A1's free throws should be a part of the 3rd quarter, and they haven't occurred yet?

So, we have a false double foul. A1 shoots two free throws, followed by 2 free throws by a B player.

My question is now how is the second part of the penalty administered? Since the T occurred in the third quarter, does the second part of the penalty (ball out of bounds at the division line opposite the table) carry over into the fourth quarter? If so, what is the rule justification?

TIA...
All the action occured as part of the 3rd quarter. Consequently, you administer it that way. The free throws by A. Followed by the free throws for the technical by team B. Resume play in the 4th period with the AP arrow.

The action for the 3rd quarter doesn't end until the free throws by team A had been completed. So as Team A was charged with a technical before the 3rd quarter action completed, it is also considered part of the quarter.