The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

How "good" is your short term memory?

I can't hardly remember anything about a game that happened the night before let alone last year. The other night on the way to a B/GV doubleheader my dad was telling me not to worry about another game coming up because the away coaches acted up last time yadda yadda...I couldnt remember a darned thing about that game. Really wanted to tell him to stop because I had nothing to relate too.

Course some guys I work with can remember everything about a game that happened ten years ago. Only time I remember something about a game is something memorable happens or I really couldnt stand a player or coach.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 07:05pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
I can't hardly remember anything about a game that happened the night before let alone last year. The other night on the way to a B/GV doubleheader my dad was telling me not to worry about another game coming up because the away coaches acted up last time yadda yadda...I couldnt remember a darned thing about that game. Really wanted to tell him to stop because I had nothing to relate too.

Course some guys I work with can remember everything about a game that happened ten years ago. Only time I remember something about a game is something memorable happens or I really couldnt stand a player or coach.
We want everyone to have a clean slate, so your STM is just fine.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 09:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I'm glad you posted this question. I have what I feel is a very interesting answer. It's.......wait, what was the question again?
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 09:36pm
I miss being on the floor

I'm kind of the same way. I'll only remember a play if I want to.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 11:03pm
Administrator

Quote:

I had a girls H.S. varsity basketball game at the beginning of the 1983-84 season where I had a ...... What was I talking about

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

I hope you have the ability to recall plays during a game. An official needs to be able to see a play that occurs, judge the contact, recall the same/similar play that occurred earlier in the game, and then officiate it with the same/similar result.

The reason why officials are told: "the more plays you see, the better you'll get" is because that is how you develop experience. You need to be able to recall situations & plays from previous games and be prepared to handle it when the same play occurs.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
I hope you have the ability to recall plays during a game. An official needs to be able to see a play that occurs, judge the contact, recall the same/similar play that occurred earlier in the game, and then officiate it with the same/similar result.

The reason why officials are told: "the more plays you see, the better you'll get" is because that is how you develop experience. You need to be able to recall situations & plays from previous games and be prepared to handle it when the same play occurs.
I have been trained somewhat like this. I am use to looking at the clock and glancing at what time it is every transition. My mentor did this so then I can recall a play and have a general idea of when it was so we don't spend the entire time trying to remember what play we should be talking about. And for the potential of being use to seeing a shot clock when I move to college ball.

When I get ready for the next game I use this to think of potential ways to improve in the next game. When I get on the court my focus is now on this game. While I probably cannot recall an entire game I remember plays that are learning potentials.

This works great while my mentor is on the road and can watch my game online. After the game I call him on my ride back and have a second postgame. Either way remember plays is a great way to learn individually and as a crew.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 01:13am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
When I get ready for the next game I use this to think of potential ways to improve in the next game. When I get on the court my focus is now on this game. While I probably cannot recall an entire game I remember plays that are learning potentials.
This.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 01:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You need to be able to recall situations & plays from previous games and be prepared to handle it when the same play occurs.
Or to learn from a situation so it does not happen again.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My guess is your dad remembers that coach because HE "really couldnt stand the coach."

Quote:
Imagine if you were like Marilu Henner and others who have superior autobiographical memory. They can remember the vast majority of personal experiences that have occurred throughout their life. Creepy!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't need to remember a play in the first half in order to call it the same way in the second half.

You gain experience and LEARN:
  • What is a foul and what isn't a foul.
  • What constitutes an advantage or disadvantage
  • What rule governs the play I'm officiating
  • Be consistent in your application of the rules
IOW, you don't need to "remember" if you call the same play consistently.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Only games I can clearly remember are the ones where something BAD happened and it became a learning experience. (Shooter got blown up when I followed the ball flight, Multiple T's, Late (one time)).

Keeping a game log helps.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

I remember plays and situations. I can't even remember which players played the best by the time we hit the showers. I've had partners say "man, #32 was killing them" and I'll be like "oh, was he?" I've officiated the children of fellow officials and didn't it realize their kids were playing.

I do remember a-hole coaches and always get a kick out of giving them a firm handshake before the game and saying "Bad News Ref" as if I've never met them before.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I remember plays and situations. I can't even remember which players played the best by the time we hit the showers. I've had partners say "man, #32 was killing them" and I'll be like "oh, was he?"
I'm actually really glad to see that. I'll notice a particular player if he's being a trouble maker or if he's in a match up that I've been watching for a while but I guess I'm not good at picking up which players are really playing well. My partners will talk about sometimes how so and so player really did well or had a good jump shot or whatever and I find myself wondering if I'm not paying enough attention.

I just figured I was still learning how to keep track of everything important in a game that I didn't have time to track player performance also. Nice to hear a veteran say the same thing.

I have noticed this season that I've gotten better about knowing the AP arrow (except in those 9th grade girls B games, forget it) and the players with four fouls.

Quote:
I do remember a-hole coaches and always get a kick out of giving them a firm handshake before the game and saying "Bad News Ref" as if I've never met them before.
Yup, that makes me grin too.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'm actually really glad to see that. I'll notice a particular player if he's being a trouble maker or if he's in a match up that I've been watching for a while but I guess I'm not good at picking up which players are really playing well. My partners will talk about sometimes how so and so player really did well or had a good jump shot or whatever and I find myself wondering if I'm not paying enough attention.

I just figured I was still learning how to keep track of everything important in a game that I didn't have time to track player performance also. Nice to hear a veteran say the same thing.
I'm working this season on paying attention to what successful plays teams are running so I can anticipate what might happen in a last minute shot situation.