View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
I hope you have the ability to recall plays during a game. An official needs to be able to see a play that occurs, judge the contact, recall the same/similar play that occurred earlier in the game, and then officiate it with the same/similar result.

The reason why officials are told: "the more plays you see, the better you'll get" is because that is how you develop experience. You need to be able to recall situations & plays from previous games and be prepared to handle it when the same play occurs.
I have been trained somewhat like this. I am use to looking at the clock and glancing at what time it is every transition. My mentor did this so then I can recall a play and have a general idea of when it was so we don't spend the entire time trying to remember what play we should be talking about. And for the potential of being use to seeing a shot clock when I move to college ball.

When I get ready for the next game I use this to think of potential ways to improve in the next game. When I get on the court my focus is now on this game. While I probably cannot recall an entire game I remember plays that are learning potentials.

This works great while my mentor is on the road and can watch my game online. After the game I call him on my ride back and have a second postgame. Either way remember plays is a great way to learn individually and as a crew.