The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone's wish has been granted

Effective today, we're no longer doing table operations for basketball games. The reasoning behind this is that we're feeling highly under appreciated by being relegated this year to doing only Timer/Scoreboard operations in Gym 2 (JV & C-Squads only).

You can thank the AD for this decision as he doesn't seem to care if the Varsity Table Crew has knowledge of the rules or not.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

That's too bad-good table people are hard to find.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
That's too bad-good table people are hard to find.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

It wasn't just me they lost. They lost the whole family, so not only minus a few table officials, but also minus a couple of security/crowd control.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Do you get to keep the taser?
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Do you get to keep the taser?
You buy it, you keep it
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Eagle-
What issues does the crew handling games in your main gym have in terms of rules knowledge? Kind of curious to see the difference between the crew I work on and your main gym crew!
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Eagle-
What issues does the crew handling games in your main gym have in terms of rules knowledge? Kind of curious to see the difference between the crew I work on and your main gym crew!
Not buzzing the horn 1 minute before game, not buzzing the 45-sec. or 1 minute horn for intermissions (between quarters), not properly notifying floor officials of bonus/double bonus, not immediately notifying of player DQ'd on 5th foul or doing the 20 sec. countdown on DQ'd players, not keeping track of AP, not paying close attention on who fouled/scored.

Before the new scoreboard was put in, wouldn't buzz the warning horn at 15 seconds remaining in TOs (new board has built-in TO Timer with auto horn).

One of the real biggies: not being neutral/impartial!!!!
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 11:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Not my wish. I'd take a professional table crew any day.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 11:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

Eagle though I personally give you a hard time here, I admire how seriously you take your responsibilities. As Juggles put it, I wish I had a professional table crew at all of my games. Sorry that this is happening to you, I hope this is only a brief hiatus for you all.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Eagle though I personally give you a hard time here, I admire how seriously you take your responsibilities. As Juggles put it, I wish I had a professional table crew at all of my games. Sorry that this is happening to you, I hope this is only a brief hiatus for you all.
Here's a copy of the e-mails between the AD & I:

Quote:
I am curious as to why in Gym 1, we are being relegated to shot clock operations only? We have been following through what is being asked of Table Officials in Appendix 4 of the 2011-2013 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual under the headings 4.0.2 Selection of the Scorer & Timer & 4.0.3 Training the Table Officials (pages 85-86).

We have been attending the Boys' Officials Association meetings in Tri-Cities & they are very appreciative that we are taking the time to attend to have a better knowledge of the rules & the response is that they wish they had more table crews like us working the Varsity games.

I am not trying to cause waves of dissent, however we have previous experience with Varsity Contests doing the 3A/4A Regionals & the NWAACC Basketball Championships at Toyota Center so we have experience in using of the Daktronics AllSport 5000 Scoreboard Controller, as well as the one game we did last year at CHS due to ... being sick. We have noticed that ... lacks the ability to remain impartial & she cheers for CHS while at the table. ... also has been slow at times in stopping the clock & posting information on the scoreboard, which can impede the flow of the game. ... is also not following Intermission timing rules by buzzing 45 seconds & a minute to resume play between quarters, or not being present at the table to buzz the minute warning horn pre-game & at halftime.

As evidenced by the materials on the clipboard I carry, I take table crew operations seriously. Some of what we have been witnessing is due to lack of rules knowledge, & we would like the opportunity to show our capabilities during a Varsity contest.

We are willing to do Varsity Timer/Scoreboard as volunteers, as we know in the past that the Varsity Timer has been getting paid. We are wanting to do all we can to save NFSD & CHS money.
AD Response to follow
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

AD Response to e-mail

Quote:
At this time, and for the previous two years, no one has been paid to work the tables at league contests. ... is our clock operator, but has been ill the previous two games. I appreciate all you and your family do for us. At this time we would like your family to continue to run the gym 2 table. I believe ... will be back to run the clock in gym 1 for varsity contests. ... will continue to run the clock for the JV contest in gym 1. At this time we have not received a complaint from the officials as to how we run our tables. I know there are times when you or your wife cannot attend so I will try to find a person to run the shot clock in gym 1.
Just because there have been no complaints, does not mean there have been issues.

Here's my response to this e-mail

Quote:
Due to feeling highly under appreciated, we are no longer assisting with Connell High School athletics. The decision does not come lightly as like I stated below Molly & I are following the recommendations posted in the 2011-2013 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual (Appendix 4 pages 85-86). We have taken time & effort to do all we can to keep up to date on all the latest rules & regulations, yet we are continually being relegated to Gym 2. We feel that we are only truly appreciated by the Boys' Officials Association, where we have been attending meetings, & they wish more table crews would be more willing to learn like we have been these past 2 seasons.

Saturday was our last game day, starting with Thursday's game against Highland new table personnel for gym 2 & security/crowd control for both gyms will need to be found. I will also be notifying the Boys' Officials Association of our decision so they know we're no longer attending the meetings.
As I quoted in this response & my initial e-mail, we have gone out of our way to keep up to date on the rules & regulations, yet for some reason even after working state qualifying & a JUCO Tournament we can only do JV & C-Squad games. No one else that does table there has similar qualifications (except for home district playoff games), nor are able to competently run the new scoreboard.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

I don't understand your AD-If I'm an AD and have the opportunity to put people who worked state tournament qualifying games and a JUCO tournament on my Varsity table crew I do it because I also have a responsibility to the officials working my contests to provide competent personnel at the table-regardless of level.Eagle-is the cheering clock operator an teacher at the school?
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't understand your AD-If I'm an AD and have the opportunity to put people who worked state tournament qualifying games and a JUCO tournament on my Varsity table crew I do it because I also have a responsibility to the officials working my contests to provide competent personnel at the table-regardless of level.Eagle-is the cheering clock operator an teacher at the school?
the cheering timer is an alum of the school that's only 1-2 years removed from being a student there. She was filling in for the lunch lady who normally is the Varsity timer who has been ill (supposedly the past couple of game nights).

The lunch lady/Varsity Timer is normally only ill one game night a year & it's a rarity that she misses games. To not be there for 2 games in 6 days is highly unusual.

Last edited by chseagle; Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 12:39am.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep. Sounds like there's some school politics going on...
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:39am
We don't rent pigs

I have to ask. Who, other than you, has noticed/pointed out/complained about the deficiencies of this/these other table person(s)?

Lonesome Dove
Closed Thread