The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Late in the first half, team A's HEAD coach tells my HL he wants a time out as soon as the next play is over. Play ends, HL signals time out for team A. I had illegal formation on A. I marked the penalty and then signaled time out for A, after which HEAD coach says he no longer wants a time out since he had a penalty.

What ya gonna do?
Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

You deal with the penalty first, than ask if he still wants the TO.
Don't even grant a TO if the clock has been stopped for OOB run, incomplete pass, awarding first down, penalty flag on the ground or after a kick play ends until you know for sure the head coach or field players know that time is not running. If they insist, grant it after moving the chains, or spotting the ball for the next down.

Tell your wing to say this to the coach. "If you want a timeout after the next play then ask for it at after the next play ends." I would never, never take it upon oneself to stop the clock based on that next play request. Make him ask for it again.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'm giving him the TO baby. He asked for it based on a certain event. That event occurred. Now he's got a minute to thik about what his next move is.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 05:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
You deal with the penalty first, than ask if he still wants the TO.
Don't even grant a TO if the clock has been stopped for OOB run, incomplete pass, awarding first down, penalty flag on the ground or after a kick play ends until you know for sure the head coach or field players know that time is not running. If they insist, grant it after moving the chains, or spotting the ball for the next down.

Tell your wing to say this to the coach. "If you want a timeout after the next play then ask for it at after the next play ends." I would never, never take it upon oneself to stop the clock based on that next play request. Make him ask for it again.
I agree 100% and do this. "Coach, if you want a time out after the play, tell me then because we don't know what is about to happen."
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Running the wings, I know this probably happens about once a game. They'll say something to the effect of "Give me a timeout after this play" and I'll respond "Okay"... but I don't give it to him directly after the play is over. After the play, I'll look back, look him in the eye and if he wants his TO he'll have to ask for it again.

I haven't had any problems with this.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

I tell my coach. "i will look at you after this play. If you still want it, let me know"
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

My favorite is... "I want a timeout when we get down to 1 second on the playclock."

"Coach - you watch the clock and tell me when you want it."
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Why not just grant him his wish as he first expressed it?
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Why not just grant him his wish as he first expressed it?
Because situations change and he could change his mind. The first post of this thread is a perfect example this. I personally think it is best to have the coach request a time out when he wants it, not when he tells us he wants it (after next play/one second left). We aren't mind reads, well, at least most of us aren't!

Something that came up in our game Friday. Remember, when you hear someone requesting a time out from the sidelines, always verify that it is the HC and not a player/fan/assistant calling for the TO. If the snap is coming soon, be sure to turn back to the field as to be sure the play hasn't started. If the ball hasn't been snapped, blow it dead and grant the TO.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by grantsrc
Quote:
Something that came up in our game Friday. Remember, when you hear someone requesting a time out from the sidelines, always verify that it is the HC and not a player/fan/assistant calling for the TO. If the snap is coming soon, be sure to turn back to the field as to be sure the play hasn't started. If the ball hasn't been snapped, blow it dead and grant the TO.
You should never have to look back towards the field to make sure the play hasn't started. If the TO request from the HC comes so close to the snap you have to risk missing the snap to make sure it is him, it is too late. In the pre-game conference with the coaches, we always introduce him to the wing official on his side that he will be requesting the timeout towards and inform him that to grant the timeout we need to be looking at him and we cannot look away if the snap is imminent. We have never had a problem with it, but if wing looks away from the ball when the center has his hands on it, he may miss something that is his responsibility to keep observing. My ($0.02) anyway.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally posted by BulldogMcC
You should never have to look back towards the field to make sure the play hasn't started. If the TO request from the HC comes so close to the snap you have to risk missing the snap to make sure it is him, it is too late. In the pre-game conference with the coaches, we always introduce him to the wing official on his side that he will be requesting the timeout towards and inform him that to grant the timeout we need to be looking at him and we cannot look away if the snap is imminent. We have never had a problem with it, but if wing looks away from the ball when the center has his hands on it, he may miss something that is his responsibility to keep observing. My ($0.02) anyway.
Why not quick check back? I guess what I meant was if the QB has started his cadence and a player is in motion and the coach is requesting a TO, then I wouldn't look away. But if they just break the huddle and I hear a request, then I would look back to the side and grant the TO. Maybe I was a little unclear.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics dictate that time outs are deferred until all the penalties have been resolved.

If a coach requests time out following the next play make sure there are no flags before granting the time out.

The coach may be motivated to take a time out because he wants to talk to his QB. If a penalty occurs he has time to talk without being charged a time out.