Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 04:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
+1

I wear a tie to all of my board's assignments, right down to MS. We were told to dress professionally, so I do.

If my board doesn't assign it (rec league, travel, et al), then I dress more casually, but I don't arrive or leave in my stripes.
I don't wear a tie, ever. I'll wear a pair of slacks and a polo shirt, button down shirt, or a sweater.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 04:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Our association's dress code is ties for Varsity games. I don't agree with it not because I don't think we should dress that professionally but because a lot of the facilities we work in don't have adequately clean locker rooms and/or hot running water.

If I'm provided professional acccomadations then I don't have a problem wearing a tie to a game.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 05:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Everybody, I am sure, has already read about how MTD, Jr., and I started last week with a mini-Xavier vs. Cincy game on Monday, but it only got better on Friday night.

Mark had a boys' JV game in a league where the southern most school is quite a bit a ways from home. I decided to go to the game with him and observe him. My "better half" questioned my decision not to take any officiating gear with me in case his partner did not show up as I assured her that he would. ROFLMAO!!

Sure enough, his partner did not show up and I officiated, wearing the kahki slacks that I wore to the game and a pair of size 9-1/2 (I wear size 9's) sneakers that belonged to the home school AD. Good thing that Mark had packed a second shirt and naturally had extra whistles in his bag. A fun evening was had by all.

MTD, Sr.
So, where are the pictures?
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 06:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Our association's dress code is ties for Varsity games. I don't agree with it not because I don't think we should dress that professionally but because a lot of the facilities we work in don't have adequately clean locker rooms and/or hot running water.

If I'm provided professional acccomadations then I don't have a problem wearing a tie to a game.
I'm happy I don't live/work there. I'd do it, but it's overkill. Hell, only about 10% of the coaches here have ties on, if that.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 09:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Business Casual ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I don't wear a tie, ever. I'll wear a pair of slacks and a polo shirt, button down shirt, or a sweater.
Business casual here. Back thirty years ago, it was a different story. Ties and jackets back then, which changed to just ties about twenty years ago, now, it's just, as I said, business casual.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 09:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pepperidge Farms Remembers ...

Quote:
I'm happy I don't live/work there. I'd do it, but it's overkill. Hell, only about 10% of the coaches here have ties on, if that.
I remember when almost all coaches wore ties. Now, we have some coaches that wear sweats to a game. Like they're going to get off the bench and show their players how to set a screen, or something.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 09:55pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Belt?

Bwahahaha!

Yes.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 19, 2011, 11:09pm
Archaic Power Monger

I've come to the conclusion that there is no standard here. Most subvarsity officials come dressed. For frosh/JV douvleheaders I dress at the school but sometimes the accommodations stink. This last Friday they had us dress in the boy's locker room a row of lockers from where the players dress. Suffice to say I did not shower afterwards.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 07:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fool Me Once, Well, You Know The Rest ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I dress at the school but sometimes the accommodations stink.
I had a game at an all girls prep school last week. I had never worked at that school before. As usual, I came dressed in business casual. I was forced to change in an "active" men's room, and by "active", I mean that while I was dressing, several guys came in to use the facilities. There were four lockers available, but no shower.

Next time, I'm coming in my uniform.

Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 08:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I had a game at an all girls prep school last week. I had never worked at that school before. As usual, I came dressed in business casual. I was forced to change in an "active" men's room, and by "active", I mean that while I was dressing, several guys came in to use the facilities. There were four lockers available, but no shower.

Next time, I'm coming in my uniform.
Did you notify your association?

When accommodations are this poor, I'll notify the commissioner (assignor) here. Schools are expected to provide us with a reasonable place to change and a shower to use (if we want one). One commissioner did remind us that the schools are not required to provide us with a towel (although those that do are much appreciated by us as we don't have to get ours wet).

Some schools seem to "forget" to provide us water or another beverage at halftime. At those schools, I won't hesitate to ask on the spot. A bottle of water (or access to clean, cold drinking water) at halftime, in my mind, is the minimum of what the school should be providing us.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 09:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Some schools seem to "forget" to provide us water or another beverage at halftime. At those schools, I won't hesitate to ask on the spot. A bottle of water (or access to clean, cold drinking water) at halftime, in my mind, is the minimum of what the school should be providing us.
Same here. Though I have found that it is standard for the snack bars to provide free water to the officials around here.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 10:00am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I was going to ask our chapter president about it but the varsity assigner and secretary were both working the varsity game after me so I figured it was known. We are able to get water from the concession stand usually which is nice but other than that it is at the whim of the school and we (collectively) don't seem to have much influence at all.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 06:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Car In Every Garage, And A Chicken In Every Pot ...

Quote:
Assignment commissioner, president, and secretary/treasurer.

I don't know why they haven't contacted all our members with a "shout out" email to tell us to come dressed to this school, which we've only recently started to service.

After a recent merger with another non-IAABO board, our membership has increased to over 300 members and the quality of communication, even with improved technology, just hasn't been up to par. I'm considering running for our executive committee next season. I'm not really into the "politics" of officiating, but there are better ways of running a local board, especially a growing one like ours. We've got a great local board, with some great leaders, but it can be a little better.