The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What a week for Junior and I it was! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84651-what-week-junior-i.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 19, 2011 09:22am

What a week for Junior and I it was!

Everybody, I am sure, has already read about how MTD, Jr., and I started last week with a mini-Xavier vs. Cincy game on Monday, but it only got better on Friday night.

Mark had a boys' JV game in a league where the southern most school is quite a bit a ways from home. I decided to go to the game with him and observe him. My "better half" questioned my decision not to take any officiating gear with me in case his partner did not show up as I assured her that he would. ROFLMAO!!

Sure enough, his partner did not show up and I officiated, wearing the kahki slacks that I wore to the game and a pair of size 9-1/2 (I wear size 9's) sneakers that belonged to the home school AD. Good thing that Mark had packed a second shirt and naturally had extra whistles in his bag. A fun evening was had by all. :D

MTD, Sr.

jTheUmp Mon Dec 19, 2011 09:24am

Isn't the second rule of officiating "always keep a spare set of gear in the trunk of your car?"

Ignats75 Mon Dec 19, 2011 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 806048)
Isn't the second rule of officiating "always keep a spare set of gear in the trunk of your car?"

The first rule of life is to always listen to your wife, even if you pretend not to hear her.:D

just another ref Mon Dec 19, 2011 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 806047)
(I wear size 0's)

Is everything else proportional?

fullor30 Mon Dec 19, 2011 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 806047)
Everybody, I am sure, has already read about how MTD, Jr., and I started last week with a mini-Xavier vs. Cincy game on Monday, but it only got better on Friday night.

Mark had a boys' JV game in a league where the southern most school is quite a bit a ways from home. I decided to go to the game with him and observe him. My "better half" questioned my decision not to take any officiating gear with me in case his partner did not show up as I assured her that he would. ROFLMAO!!

Sure enough, his partner did not show up and I officiated, wearing the kahki slacks that I wore to the game and a pair of size 9-1/2 (I wear size 0's) sneakers that belonged to the home school AD. Good thing that Mark had packed a second shirt and naturally had extra whistles in his bag. A fun evening was had by all. :D

MTD, Sr.

Pleated khakis??

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 806054)
Pleated khakis??

Of course. LOL

MTD, Sr.

grunewar Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 806054)
Pleated khakis??

Belt? :eek:

Bwahahaha!

Adam Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:56am

Saturday, I'm on my way home from a 3 game YMCA set when I get a call from my assigner asking if I can head to a nearby high school for a JV game. Stopped by my house (it was on the way), grabbed some Advil, and headed to the school. They only started about ten minutes late.

Good thing I took my bag even though I was going to my YMCA games dressed.

Raymond Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 806060)
Saturday, I'm on my way home from a 3 game YMCA set when I get a call from my assigner asking if I can head to a nearby high school for a JV game. Stopped by my house (it was on the way), grabbed some Advil, and headed to the school. They only started about ten minutes late.

I'm sure they had a big parking lot available for any of your changing needs.

Adam Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 806062)
I'm sure they had a big parking lot available for any of your changing needs.

I have tinted windows in my Taurus for just that reason.

Loudwhistle2 Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 806060)

Must've been worried about a speeding ticket!:D

Adam Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 806079)
Must've been worried about a speeding ticket!:D

Always, unfortunately, there was no free food.

On a serious note, even when I have to show up "dressed," I'm not wearing my stripes. At the very least, my shoes, shirt, and whistle are in my bag and I'm wearing a plain black undershirt.

Rich Mon Dec 19, 2011 01:08pm

I worked a sub-varsity game last Saturday and I had *no clue* how to go to the game.

I dressed in nice clothes and took my bag the same as if I was working a varsity game. The only change was that I showed up at about 9:30AM for a 10AM game instead of 9AM as I was warned nobody might be there before then.

I changed, put on my jacket, went to the gym, and waited. My partner showed up about 9:50AM, dressed in everything except a striped shirt and officiating shoes. He sat on the bleachers and changed and then came and said hello. We started about 5 minutes later.

I'm really not that comfortable coming dressed, I guess -- I'm just not used to it.

bainsey Mon Dec 19, 2011 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 806093)
I'm really not that comfortable coming dressed, I guess -- I'm just not used to it.

+1

I wear a tie to all of my board's assignments, right down to MS. We were told to dress professionally, so I do.

If my board doesn't assign it (rec league, travel, et al), then I dress more casually, but I don't arrive or leave in my stripes.

Camron Rust Mon Dec 19, 2011 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 806096)
+1

I wear a tie to all of my board's assignments, right down to MS. We were told to dress professionally, so I do.

If my board doesn't assign it (rec league, travel, et al), then I dress more casually, but I don't arrive or leave in my stripes.

A tie? Really? I would never consider wearing a tie, particularly not for a MS game....but not even of for a playoff game or even the state final. There are a few people that go that far but most of them have day jobs that have them in such attire. I own ONE suit and wear it to funerals and such.

My normal day job....just about anything...jeans/shorts and a pullover, or even a T sometimes. I do dress "up" when I have a game that night but it is often khaki's or such and a nice golf shirt or button down.

Now, if we got paid professional rates, I could see dressing in a suit/tie but for an amount that roughly equates to minimum wage...no.