The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Substitution issue

NFHS, Varsity Boys game. Visiting team down 6 or 7 points. Under 2 minutes to go, Foul is called, home team shooting 2 frees, foul reported, I look at the C, he's ready to go, I'm ready to give ball to freethrower, T is talking to coach about foul (I assume)looking my way, Free thrower shoots 1st free and misses. While free thrower was shooting visiting team player runs onto the court and now there is confusion. What happened(C and myself did not know this) was that V team player had fouled out and they were replacing him and that was why V team player came out onto the court. Free throw should not have taken place. The 3 wise men get together and we determine that we will shoot both free throws since the first one should not have happened to begin with. Shooter makes both. Question is, did we make the right decision on wether to shoot both frees or should he only shoot the 2nd free? On a side note, I never saw the V team sub come onto the court and thats what I told my partners. Sorry for the long post. Hope it's not too confusing..
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 11:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

No, you do not re-shoot the first free throw. Whether it "should" have happened is irrelevant, it happened and it was the proper shooter.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Good thing it was a 2-shot foul, instead of 1-1.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Nope - can't reshoot. Must replace the player after notification. If not notified until after the shot, then the shot stands. Reporting official needs to do a better job holding up play if they were notified it was the 5th foul. If not notified, then it's a table issue.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

What was the reasoning behind the thought that the first shot shouldn't of happened?
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
What was the reasoning behind the thought that the first shot shouldn't of happened?
They were using the NCAAW interp.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

not sure of the reason why we allowed player to shoot the first shot over. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to do. We let the Crew Chief make the decision. As a follow up, we ended up whacking the Visiting coach because he starting swearing at the official who made the call and claimied it changed the complexity of the game. It was only a 1 point difference and his team ended up losing by 11.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper33 View Post
NFHS, Varsity Boys game. Visiting team down 6 or 7 points. Under 2 minutes to go, Foul is called, home team shooting 2 frees, foul reported, I look at the C, he's ready to go, I'm ready to give ball to freethrower, T is talking to coach about foul (I assume)looking my way, Free thrower shoots 1st free and misses. While free thrower was shooting visiting team player runs onto the court and now there is confusion. What happened(C and myself did not know this) was that V team player had fouled out and they were replacing him and that was why V team player came out onto the court. Free throw should not have taken place. The 3 wise men get together and we determine that we will shoot both free throws since the first one should not have happened to begin with. Shooter makes both. Question is, did we make the right decision on wether to shoot both frees or should he only shoot the 2nd free? On a side note, I never saw the V team sub come onto the court and thats what I told my partners. Sorry for the long post. Hope it's not too confusing..
On a side note, did the scorer notify that was the player's 5th foul? If not some of the confusion/blame can be placed at the table for not notifying.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 03:45pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
While free thrower was shooting visiting team player runs onto the court and now there is confusion. What happened(C and myself did not know this) was that V team player had fouled out and they were replacing him and that was why V team player came out onto the court.
No matter why it happened, if a substitute ran onto the court without being beckoned, you had another problem.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
not sure of the reason why we allowed player to shoot the first shot over. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to do. We let the Crew Chief make the decision. As a follow up, we ended up whacking the Visiting coach because he starting swearing at the official who made the call and claimied it changed the complexity of the game. It was only a 1 point difference and his team ended up losing by 11.
I bet you really would of had fun if the coach kept his wits and asked for a correctable error appeal.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 04:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...T is talking to coach about foul (I assume)looking my way, Free thrower shoots 1st free and misses. While free thrower was shooting visiting team player runs onto the court and now there is confusion. What happened(C and myself did not know this) was that V team player had fouled out and they were replacing him and that was why V team player came out onto the court. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
No matter why it happened, if a substitute ran onto the court without being beckoned, you had another problem.
Based on Sapper's accounting it appears that the Trail was aware that the sub was coming into the game.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 05:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
While free thrower was shooting visiting team player runs onto the court and now there is confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Based on Sapper's accounting it appears that the Trail was aware that the sub was coming into the game.
Even if he was aware of it, sounds like at least one hand didn't know what the other was doing.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

1. Communicate with your partners FIRST when there is a disqualified player.
2. Know the NFHS rules on correctable errors. This is not one of them.
3. Check the past interps archive. This play is there.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:

Sapper, what should have taken place is: You should have taken the triple nickle forty formula and admitted that the shooter was entitled to his freethrows and moved on from there. I hope that is not too confusing.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

'Tis The Season ...

Quote:
The three wise men get together.
Were they Gaspar, Balthasar, and Melchior? And did they bring gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 12, 2011 at 08:24pm.