The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
What to do after failed shot clock reset?

Here's a situation that came up yesterday that I'm not sure I handled correctly. HS girls varsity, played under NCAAW rules (with a few state modifications):

A1 shoots the ball, which glances the rim with 9 seconds on the shot clock. A gets the rebound. I notice that the shot clock was not reset a couple of seconds later and am about to blow the whistle, but A2 is about to shoot so I let that shot go up (since if it hits the rim or goes in, problem solved). The shot misses the rim and the shot clock horn goes off before anyone gains control. I have definite knowledge that the shot clock should have read 21 at that point, but there's no team control. I go to the arrow, which points to A, so I give the ball to A with an AP throw-in and 21 seconds on the shot clock.

Should I have blown the whistle before A2 takes here shot?
If I blow the whistle before A2 takes her shot, what is the proper next action?
If I blow the whistle when I did (after A2's shot, shot clock down to 0, no team control), what is the proper next action?
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
Here's a situation that came up yesterday that I'm not sure I handled correctly. HS girls varsity, played under NCAAW rules (with a few state modifications):

A1 shoots the ball, which glances the rim with 9 seconds on the shot clock. A gets the rebound. I notice that the shot clock was not reset a couple of seconds later and am about to blow the whistle, but A2 is about to shoot so I let that shot go up (since if it hits the rim or goes in, problem solved). The shot misses the rim and the shot clock horn goes off before anyone gains control. I have definite knowledge that the shot clock should have read 21 at that point, but there's no team control. I go to the arrow, which points to A, so I give the ball to A with an AP throw-in and 21 seconds on the shot clock.

Should I have blown the whistle before A2 takes here shot?
If I blow the whistle before A2 takes her shot, what is the proper next action?
If I blow the whistle when I did (after A2's shot, shot clock down to 0, no team control), what is the proper next action?
1) Tough call. Clearly if she was shooting because the clock was about to expire, blow the whistle (the error put her at a disadvantage). Nut, if it was a "good look", then I'd be inclined to do what you did.

2) A's ball with 21 (well, a bit more) seconds on the shot clock.

3) Seems right to me.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
There were about 5 seconds left on the clock when I noticed the failed reset and the girl was making a move to shoot, so she wasn't doing it to beat the buzzer.

Here's the NCAA rule on this (5-11.4):
Art. 4. When an obvious mistake by the shot-clock operator has occurred in failing to start, stop, set or reset the shot clock or when a shot clock has malfunctioned, the mistake or the malfunctioning problem may be corrected in the shot-clock period in which it occurred only when the official has definite information relative to the mistake or malfunctioning problem and the time involved. Any activity, after the mistake or malfunctioning problem has been committed and until it has been rectified, shall be canceled, excluding any flagrant foul or technical foul.

And here's the only case in the case book, which has to do with a mistaken reset and not a failed reset:

A.R. 153. The time on the game clock is 15:30 and the shot clock reads 0:30 for men and 0:25 for women. A1 shoots the ball with five seconds on the shot clock and does not hit the ring or flange. Team A recovers the ball and the shot-clock operator, by mistake, resets the shot clock. No one notices the mistake by the shot-clock operator at this time. The game clock gets to 14:55 for men and 15:00 for women and B2 commits a foul against A2. Now the officials get together and realize the shot-clock operator’s mistake.
RULING: When the officials have definite information relative to the shot-clock operator’s mistake, it is permissible to rectify that mistake. In this case, since the officials have definite information relative to the time involved, they shall put five seconds back on the game clock, can- cel the foul and award the ball to Team B at a designated spot nearest to where the ball became dead for the shot-clock violation.
(Rule 5-11.4)

So how to apply this in my case?