The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 12:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Kids rec question

Worked a 6th grade boys "competitive" game last night. I had a partner with whom I'd never worked before in all my years. He had a "method" of making calls that was unconventional. After he blew his whistle for a violation or a foul, he didn't raise his hand or give a mechanic to indicate what the violation or foul was, but pointed in a direction and yelled "blue ball" or "white ball". He would then state if it was a foul or a violation and what it was for. IOW - he reversed the order of reporting and used no indication mechanics.

When I asked him about this at a break, he said he does it this way only for "little kids games" so that the kids will know what's going to happen to the ball and will start to get into proper position quicker. I'd never heard of that before but I understand his logic. However, when I asked him why he didn't indicate the infraction with a mechanic (which would help his partner) he just shrugged.

Just curious, do any of you think this (the order of the call, not ignoring mechanics) is a good idea for kids rec games? Why or why not? Thanks.

Oh yeah, on shooting fouls, he would just point to the FT line and say, for instance, "Blue 21, two shots". I wonder if the scorekeeper thought the foul was on Blue 21. I never thought to check.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 12:12pm.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 12:17pm
This IS My Social Life

Earth to Official...Earth to Official...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
. . .do any of you think this (the order of the call, not ignoring mechanics) is a good idea for kids rec games? Why or why not?
No. (You mentioned he does this "for little kids' games". Does he then do it more conventionally for big kids' games? And, if so, how the heck does he make the transition from game to game?)

Let the little kids learn what to expect when they're big kids by doing it the conventional way early on, I'd say.

Unless, of course, somewhere in Illinois there is an association or an assignor whose trainers insist this is the way it is to be done if you expect to be assigned any games.

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 12:20pm.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Just curious, do any of you think this (the order of the call, not ignoring mechanics) is a good idea for kids rec games? Why or why not?
I'm calling BS! His partner(s) should be first to know what happened (mechanic) & how play will resume (proper order). Plus, the kids will be confused when they get to HS if he works many of their games.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 12:23pm
Archaic Power Monger

I use the same mechanics regardless of the level I work. I'm not good enough to try and mix and match.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 12:40pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I use the same mechanics regardless of the level I work. I'm not good enough to try and mix and match.
Ditto.

Plus, while it might help a little, if you train the players what you'll be doing down the road they will already know.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 12:51pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
+1
I still don't get the sequence correctly every time as it is... trying to do different mechanics for 'kids' then I do for 'high school' would mess up my brain even more.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

I too call BS

I can't blow my whistle without a hand going up or a held ball signal. It's such a habit that sometimes a heavy sigh makes me want to put my hand in the air.

It takes a real thinker to go between prescribed mechanics and a method that is more "little kid" friendly. It appears to me he has some bad habits and blamed it on the level he was calling.

I'm for using the appropriate mechanics in your area for all levels.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I can't blow my whistle without a hand going up or a held ball signal.
IKR! That why I had to stop doing 3 on 3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I'm for using the appropriate mechanics in your area for all levels.
Same here, but my biggest challenge through week 2 of the HS season has been not using 2 hands to report & stopping the clock for OOB
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder if his original mechanics were just that bad and confused people that he had to come up with this approach.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 07:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You're A Better Official Than I Am, Gunga Din ...

Quote:
All the same mechanics. Switching on fouls? Handling throwins? Not bumping timeouts? Always going to the reporting area, every time? Same in a high school varsity game as in a little kids recreation game, or a summer AAU game? And your recreation, and AAU, partners go along with this?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 09:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Dyslexia?
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 11:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
All the same mechanics. Switching on fouls? Handling throwins? Not bumping timeouts? Always going to the reporting area, every time? Same in a high school varsity game as in a little kids recreation game, or a summer AAU game? And your recreation, and AAU, partners go along with this?

Despite your desire to take my statement out of context, I was originally referring to my personal mechanics, not our crew mechanics.

I don't do varsity (real nor Catholic middle school) or summer AAU and we're highly encouraged to use proper mechanics in the youth league I work so to answer your question, yes.

Last edited by Welpe; Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 11:16pm. Reason: Added a hint of snark.