The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Out of Bounds Violation Yes/No (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83804-out-bounds-violation-yes-no.html)

habram Mon Dec 05, 2011 03:28pm

Out of Bounds Violation Yes/No

If a Player saves a ball from going out of bounds ,when can the player legally touch the ball again

Also if a player is running down the sideline dribbling the ball and loses it
then accidently goes out of bounds , when can the player legally touch the ball again

JRutledge Mon Dec 05, 2011 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by habram (Post 802074)
If a Player saves a ball from going out of bounds ,when can the player legally touch the ball again

When they have legally established themselves in bounds.

Quote:

then accidently goes out of bounds , when can the player legally touch the ball again

Yes as long as they establish themselves in bounds.

There is no first to touch provisions in basketball.

Peace

Freddy Mon Dec 05, 2011 03:39pm

Good Questions

Quote:

First Scenerio: As soon as that player establishes status on the court again, at least one foot touching the floor inbounds, for instance.

Second Scenerio: Sounds like an interrupted dribble (no longer player control), during which the player formerly known as "dribbler" may touch the ball again after establishing status on the court again (Different from the situation in 9-3-1 NOTE).

APG Mon Dec 05, 2011 03:39pm

Quote:

Assuming NFHS rules:

A player can legally touch the ball when they're inbounds and nothing touching out of bounds. This is not the NFL where you have to get two feet back in to reestablish oneself.

If a player loses the ball and accidentally goes out of bounds, the player can legally touch the ball as soon as they return inbounds.

If you watch other levels of play, they have different rules about this (well at least the NBA does...not sure about NCAA).

bob jenkins Mon Dec 05, 2011 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 802078)
First Scenerio: As soon as that player establishes status on the court again, at least one foot touching the floor inbounds, for instance.

... and nothing touching OOB.

JRutledge Mon Dec 05, 2011 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 802079)
Assuming NFHS rules:

If you watch other levels of play, they have different rules about this (well at least the NBA does...not sure about NCAA).

I believe the rule at the NCAA level is exactly the same, except they have a provision for running out of bounds to as an advantage and it is not a violation until they are the first one to get a pass. I am not sure if the rule is the same on both genders, but I will look it up to be sure.

Peace

Toren Mon Dec 05, 2011 03:53pm

Quote:

One foot inbounds, nothing out of bounds = legal (is how I think of it).

One scenario to think about that is pretty rare but may happen: Player A had previously legally ended their dribble and somehow fumbled the ball and saves the ball, by throwing the ball to the floor inbounds. Player A then gets both feet back inbounds and is the first to catch the ball.

The referee has to judge whether the save was the start and the catch is the ending of a second dribble, which is of course a violation.

mbyron Mon Dec 05, 2011 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 802086)
One foot inbounds, nothing out of bounds = legal (is how I think of it).

Need not be a foot: "something in, nothing out."

Toren Mon Dec 05, 2011 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 802090)
Need not be a foot: "something in, nothing out."

I'd like to see one hand in and feet in the air, like a nice break dancing move. :D

But if we want to play semantics, "Nothing in as long as something is not out."

Camron Rust Mon Dec 05, 2011 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 802094)
I'd like to see one hand in and feet in the air, like a nice break dancing move. :D

But if we want to play semantics, "Nothing in as long as something is not out."

The point is entirely valid and not a semantic issue.

They could easily be on a knee, back, or belly after diving for the lose ball with neither foot touching the floor.

Toren Mon Dec 05, 2011 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 802106)
The point is entirely valid and not a semantic issue.

They could easily be on a knee, back, or belly after diving for the lose ball with neither foot touching the floor.

It is a semantics issue, because they could easily be completely off the floor with nothing in as long as nothing is touching or touched OOB prior to them being in the air.

Scrapper1 Mon Dec 05, 2011 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 802115)
It is a semantics issue, because they could easily be completely off the floor with nothing in as long as nothing is touching or touched OOB prior to them being in the air.

Don't confuse the issue. If the player is completely off the floor, then s/he is inbounds if s/he last touched the court inbounds. Simply being airborne, does not justify your claim that the player has "nothing in".

Toren Mon Dec 05, 2011 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 802126)
Don't confuse the issue. If the player is completely off the floor, then s/he is inbounds if s/he last touched the court inbounds. Simply being airborne, does not justify your claim that the player has "nothing in".

I understand..."Something in, nothing out" is incomplete. Yet, we all seem to throw it around like it's the end all to the argument. My point is, think of it however you want, I think of the rule as "one foot in, nothing out." It helps me to remember. We all remember it differently.

So whatever helps the person remember that as long as nothing is out, then you are in.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 05, 2011 05:38pm

Quote:

Read 7-1-1 and the case plays under 7.1.1.

BillyMac Mon Dec 05, 2011 06:36pm

Been There, Called That ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 802106)

Ponytail.