The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Out of Bounds Violation Yes/No (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83804-out-bounds-violation-yes-no.html)

bob jenkins Mon Dec 05, 2011 07:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 802128)
I understand..."Something in, nothing out" is incomplete. Yet, we all seem to throw it around like it's the end all to the argument. My point is, think of it however you want, I think of the rule as "one foot in, nothing out." It helps me to remember. We all remember it differently.

So whatever helps the person remember that as long as nothing is out, then you are in.

I just read 4-playerlocation and then I don't have to try the "sayings that are right most of the time but might not be right all of the time."

Adam Mon Dec 05, 2011 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 802128)
I understand..."Something in, nothing out" is incomplete. Yet, we all seem to throw it around like it's the end all to the argument. My point is, think of it however you want, I think of the rule as "one foot in, nothing out." It helps me to remember. We all remember it differently.

So whatever helps the person remember that as long as nothing is out, then you are in.

How is it incomplete? What scenario isn't covered?

Toren Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 802177)
How is it incomplete? What scenario isn't covered?

An airborne player who saves the ball. He would not have something in, as he is airborne. Thus, incomplete.

Adam Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 802192)
An airborne player who saves the ball. He would not have something in, as he is airborne. Thus, incomplete.

Being airborne means his location is defines by his last contact with the floor, which is in bounds as long as something was in and nothing was out.

Freddy Sun Jan 22, 2012 05:23pm

Just Figured I'd Join In . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 802150)
Ponytail.

Since everybody seems to be in such a pleasant "this happened to me yesterday" mood . . .

Saturday...about three feet from the coach standing in her box...her JV girl gained possession of the ball while on her back with everything inbounds...except for...PONYTAIL.

Coach: :eek:, then :mad:, then :(, then :o, then :), then :D . . . as the reality of the situation set in.

Now, if that player followed the hairstyle trend I do, she wouldn't have had that call for a violation. :p

BillyMac Sun Jan 22, 2012 05:39pm

Tough To Make A Call With That Blinding Reflection Off My Partner's Noggin ... ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 815756)
Now, if that player followed the hairstyle trend I do, she wouldn't have had that call for a violation.

Seriously? How many bald girls do you see playing high school basketball?

bknp7 Sun Jan 22, 2012 08:55pm

if the player loses the ball while dribbling and goes out of bounds comes back in can he still dribble the ball or just gain possesion?

Freddy Sun Jan 22, 2012 09:07pm

"It's In There"

Quote:

Originally Posted by bknp7 (Post 815810)
if the player loses the ball while dribbling and goes out of bounds comes back in can he still dribble the ball or just gain possesion?

Survey the answers given previously in this thread for a clear answer to that one. That was the point of the original question, I think.

Scrapper1 Sun Jan 22, 2012 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 802192)
An airborne player who saves the ball. He would not have something in, as he is airborne.

Apparently, you completely missed the point of my last post. If you jump from inbounds, then you "have something in", even though you are airborne. Your statement above is simply incorrect by rule.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bknp7 (Post 815810)

It's an interrupted dribble. Do you know of a rule that says the player can't do either one?

BktBallRef Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 815828)
Apparently, you completely missed the point of my last post.

Yeah, he did. But that was 7 weeks ago! :eek:

Scrapper1 Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 815834)
Yeah, he did. But that was 7 weeks ago! :eek:

LOL! Freddy resurrected the thread and I didn't realize it was that old. :o