The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

3rd year - still a lot to learn

JV B/G doubleheader. Went well overall.

I asked my partner, a veteran who has called a long time, if he saw anything on which I should work.

I was thinking maybe it might be something minor or subtle. Nope, it's the things I've been told before: Not slowing down when signaling and ball watching.

Still got a long ways to go. I hope I improve these before I'm eligible for Social Security.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 09:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
JV B/G doubleheader. Went well overall.

I asked my partner, a veteran who has called a long time, if he saw anything on which I should work.

I was thinking maybe it might be something minor or subtle. Nope, it's the things I've been told before: Not slowing down when signaling and ball watching.

Still got a long ways to go. I hope I improve these before I'm eligible for Social Security.
Just think of how bad you used to be.

PS: I've been there.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

You'll get there. 23 years and I'm still learning...When I think I know it all, it's time to hang up the shoes. Work hard...and try to work on those little things. Comfort begins to come with experience.
"Nothing good happens when the clock is stopped."
Peace.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 09:34pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Ditto, most of us have. Now you have something to work on.....
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm a 4th year, and what was very helpful was going to a intense, 1-week officiating camp last summer. A lot of the campers were trying to move into college ball.

Really builds your confidence and skills.
Worth the investment.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Every time I watch the ball go through the hoop, I think, #%$^. I'm not supposed to be watching that!

Been officiating a long time but I guess I'm still a fan at heart. Love to see the ball go in the hole.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Just think of how bad you used to be.

Thanks. Good point.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Hang in there and keep working. The fact you're aware of what you need to work on and care enough to do so speaks volumes.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Oops...

I still remember my first game over 17 years ago. Watched a kid take a hard foul going to the hole from the baseline, and thought "Man! Why wasn't that called?" Then it dawned on me that I was the ref...
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 10:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would suggest you get video tape of yourself. That is the best way to recognize things people might have told you.

With all that being said, this is my 16th year and there are still things I need to work on. I have yet to work the perfect game and doubt I ever will. Also everyone has an opinion about what we do. I had a guy try to tell me he did not like a call I made that was obvious to me. Life is too short to worry about these things anyway too long. We all make mistakes, just learn from the ones you know about and try to get better every game.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 10:25pm
TODO: creative title here

My association held a clinic earlier today. One of the guys giving the clinic has been a state observer for several years.

He claims that in all of his observations, telling people to slow down their signals is one of the most common points, and he's NEVER had to tell someone to speed up their signals.

Ball watching is something that I think we all struggle with from time to time.... I know I still do.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 10:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
My association held a clinic earlier today. One of the guys giving the clinic has been a state observer for several years.

He claims that in all of his observations, telling people to slow down their signals is one of the most common points, and he's NEVER had to tell someone to speed up their signals.
I have to agree. As a clinician at many clinics that is one of the sloppiest things I see all officials do. Your table presentation is one of the most important things we do. Not only do we have to give information but if that information is wrong or incorrectly processed we are in big trouble.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 08:39am

I'm in my 3rd year, as well (not counting the year of grade school ball I did the year before). Got to work my first BV game last Friday. Rivalry game. Very physical. We whistled over 50 fouls and might have passed on 25 more. Home head coach late in the game told me, "You know. You really haven't been very good tonight." I said, "Maybe so. But I'm not the only one who hasn't." He wasn't exactly sure what I meant, but it kept him quiet for a while as he gave it some thought. Of course, I wasn't talking about my partners. His team started out the game down 25-5, and I wasn't the one who was very good?!?! LOL! I did come off the court not feeling the best about my game. It was physically and mentally draining.

The good news is, I came out the next night and worked a BJV game and really felt like I probably called the best game of my career. In retrospect, I suppose it was because I felt a lot more confident that second night.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 06:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Silence Can't Be Quoted ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
Home head coach late in the game told me, "You know. You really haven't been very good tonight." I said, "Maybe so. But I'm not the only one who hasn't".
Advice from a thirty-one year veteran, to a third year official: Don't use this line again. Ever. At any level. How good, or bad, a coach's team plays is no business of ours.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 04:46am
Official Forum Member

Filter (at times) = Silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Advice from a thirty-one year veteran, to a third year official: Don't use this line again. Ever. At any level. How good, or bad, a coach's team plays is no business of ours.
+1

Sometimes, what I don't say, and when I don't say it, is much better than anything I might have added to the conversation!