The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3rd year - still a lot to learn (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83644-3rd-year-still-lot-learn.html)

dsqrddgd909 Fri Dec 02, 2011 08:49pm

3rd year - still a lot to learn

JV B/G doubleheader. Went well overall.

I asked my partner, a veteran who has called a long time, if he saw anything on which I should work.

I was thinking maybe it might be something minor or subtle. Nope, it's the things I've been told before: Not slowing down when signaling and ball watching. :(

Still got a long ways to go. I hope I improve these before I'm eligible for Social Security.

Adam Fri Dec 02, 2011 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 801453)
JV B/G doubleheader. Went well overall.

I asked my partner, a veteran who has called a long time, if he saw anything on which I should work.

I was thinking maybe it might be something minor or subtle. Nope, it's the things I've been told before: Not slowing down when signaling and ball watching. :(

Still got a long ways to go. I hope I improve these before I'm eligible for Social Security.

Just think of how bad you used to be. :D

PS: I've been there.

refiator Fri Dec 02, 2011 09:34pm

You'll get there. 23 years and I'm still learning...When I think I know it all, it's time to hang up the shoes. Work hard...and try to work on those little things. Comfort begins to come with experience.
"Nothing good happens when the clock is stopped."
Peace.:)

grunewar Fri Dec 02, 2011 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 801458)

Ditto, most of us have. Now you have something to work on.....

MelbRef Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:37am

I'm a 4th year, and what was very helpful was going to a intense, 1-week officiating camp last summer. A lot of the campers were trying to move into college ball.

Really builds your confidence and skills.
Worth the investment.

Scratch85 Sat Dec 03, 2011 01:04am

Every time I watch the ball go through the hoop, I think, #%$^. I'm not supposed to be watching that!

Been officiating a long time but I guess I'm still a fan at heart. Love to see the ball go in the hole. :)

dsqrddgd909 Sat Dec 03, 2011 08:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 801458)
Just think of how bad you used to be. :D

Thanks. Good point.:D

Rufus Sat Dec 03, 2011 08:47pm

Hang in there and keep working. The fact you're aware of what you need to work on and care enough to do so speaks volumes.

mplagrow Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:16pm

Oops...

I still remember my first game over 17 years ago. Watched a kid take a hard foul going to the hole from the baseline, and thought "Man! Why wasn't that called?" Then it dawned on me that I was the ref...

JRutledge Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:24pm

I would suggest you get video tape of yourself. That is the best way to recognize things people might have told you.

With all that being said, this is my 16th year and there are still things I need to work on. I have yet to work the perfect game and doubt I ever will. Also everyone has an opinion about what we do. I had a guy try to tell me he did not like a call I made that was obvious to me. Life is too short to worry about these things anyway too long. We all make mistakes, just learn from the ones you know about and try to get better every game.

Peace

jTheUmp Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:25pm

My association held a clinic earlier today. One of the guys giving the clinic has been a state observer for several years.

He claims that in all of his observations, telling people to slow down their signals is one of the most common points, and he's NEVER had to tell someone to speed up their signals.

Ball watching is something that I think we all struggle with from time to time.... I know I still do.

JRutledge Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 801880)
My association held a clinic earlier today. One of the guys giving the clinic has been a state observer for several years.

He claims that in all of his observations, telling people to slow down their signals is one of the most common points, and he's NEVER had to tell someone to speed up their signals.

I have to agree. As a clinician at many clinics that is one of the sloppiest things I see all officials do. Your table presentation is one of the most important things we do. Not only do we have to give information but if that information is wrong or incorrectly processed we are in big trouble.

Peace

RadioBlue Mon Dec 05, 2011 08:39am

I'm in my 3rd year, as well (not counting the year of grade school ball I did the year before). Got to work my first BV game last Friday. Rivalry game. Very physical. We whistled over 50 fouls and might have passed on 25 more. Home head coach late in the game told me, "You know. You really haven't been very good tonight." I said, "Maybe so. But I'm not the only one who hasn't." He wasn't exactly sure what I meant, but it kept him quiet for a while as he gave it some thought. Of course, I wasn't talking about my partners. His team started out the game down 25-5, and I wasn't the one who was very good?!?! LOL! I did come off the court not feeling the best about my game. It was physically and mentally draining.

The good news is, I came out the next night and worked a BJV game and really felt like I probably called the best game of my career. In retrospect, I suppose it was because I felt a lot more confident that second night.

BillyMac Mon Dec 05, 2011 06:25pm

Silence Can't Be Quoted ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioBlue (Post 801951)
Home head coach late in the game told me, "You know. You really haven't been very good tonight." I said, "Maybe so. But I'm not the only one who hasn't".

Advice from a thirty-one year veteran, to a third year official: Don't use this line again. Ever. At any level. How good, or bad, a coach's team plays is no business of ours.

Rob1968 Tue Dec 06, 2011 04:46am

Filter (at times) = Silence

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 802145)
Advice from a thirty-one year veteran, to a third year official: Don't use this line again. Ever. At any level. How good, or bad, a coach's team plays is no business of ours.

+1

Sometimes, what I don't say, and when I don't say it, is much better than anything I might have added to the conversation!