The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

AP Throw in

A1 OOB for an AP throw in.

As A1 throws the ball inbounds, B1 kicks the ball.

Does the arrow get changed toward team B's basket now? Or after the next throw in attempt? or is the arrow not turned at all?

I say turn it on the 2nd throw in. The rule say the throw in ends when the ball is legally touched, but there is no definition for "legally touched".

Thanks,
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow doesn't change...2nd throw-in is a throw-in for the kicked ball violation, not an AP throw-in.

4.42.5 SITUATION: Team A is awarded an alternating-possession throw-in. A1’s throw-in pass is illegally kicked by B2. RULING: As a result of B2’s kicking violation, Team A is awarded a new throw-in at the designated spot nearest to where the kicking violation (illegal touching) occurred. Since the alternating possession throw-in had not been contacted legally, the throw-in has not ended and therefore, the arrow remains with Team A for the next alternating possession throw-in. COMMENT: The kicking violation ends the alternating possession throw-in and as a result, a non-alternating-possession throw-in is administered. When the ball is legally touched on the subsequent throw-in following the kicking violation, the arrow shall not be changed and shall remain with Team A.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

wow. Thanks, I was wrong on that one. It's going to be hard for me to admit that to my partner...but at least, now I know for sure.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
A1 OOB for an AP throw in.

As A1 throws the ball inbounds, B1 kicks the ball.

Does the arrow get changed toward team B's basket now? Or after the next throw in attempt? or is the arrow not turned at all?

I say turn it on the 2nd throw in. The rule say the throw in ends when the ball is legally touched, but there is no definition for "legally touched".

Thanks,
Was just discussed here within the last week.