The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   BC at the end of the game. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83530-bc-end-game.html)

JRutledge Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:24pm

BC at the end of the game.

Did anyone see the end of the VT-Minnesota game?

There was a BC violation called on a throw-in where the ball was tipped and not controlled by VT and the ball went into the BC and a violation was called. This might be one where APG might need to clip up. I could not believe that was called.

Peace

bigwhistle Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:37pm

Not only could I not believe that it was called, I was surprised that there was no visible complaining from the VT bench.

Johnny Ringo Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38pm

I noticed this and was shocked. I actually recorded it.

yankeesfan Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:39pm

I did see that. I was shocked as soon as he called it. How could that happen? Didn't think that it was difficult at all to see there was no possession. Didn't need the replay.

JRutledge Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:18am

Florida St. v. Michigan State Game too!!!!

Then there was another call made in FSU v. MSU game too. A throw from the end line and the MSU player bobbles the ball and then the ball falls into the BC and the official calls a violation. Well at least they get together and discuss the situation and get the call right.

Man it has not been a good night for the officials in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge that is for sure.

Peace

stiffler3492 Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:47am

Saw that one. The official looked really unsure of himself when he called it.

Thought Ted Valentine standing in front of Izzo was comical.

APG Thu Dec 01, 2011 02:33am

Here's the play in question. No doubt an incorrect call:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/siYxqLLmdac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Thu Dec 01, 2011 03:10am

Thanks man. Can you get the MSU play I was referring to as well?

Peace

APG Thu Dec 01, 2011 03:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 800977)
Thanks man. Can you get the MSU play I was referring to as well?

Peace

I remember the play, but not the time when it occurred. If you can get that, it'd make it a lot easier.

NoFussRef Thu Dec 01, 2011 03:37am

Hmm...

Not saying was the right call to make, but is it possible the calling official looked at this as PC when he muffed the catch with both hands, then appears to get one dribble in before the ball goes into BC.

Wondering if his interp of what he saw was a controlled dribble prior to the ball/player entering BC. ?

Even still, not much control to the dribble, dunno if I could make that call.

JRutledge Thu Dec 01, 2011 03:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 800978)
I remember the play, but not the time when it occurred. If you can get that, it'd make it a lot easier.

It was a highlight on ESPN SportsCenter, that is all I know. I do not know the exact time as I did not see it live.

I just saw the highlight again. The play took place at 8:30 in the first half.

Peace

APG Thu Dec 01, 2011 03:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFussRef (Post 800980)
Hmm...

Not saying was the right call to make, but is it possible the calling official looked at this as PC when he muffed the catch with both hands, then appears to get one dribble in before the ball goes into BC.

Wondering if his interp of what he saw was a controlled dribble prior to the ball/player entering BC. ?

Even still, not much control to the dribble, dunno if I could make that call.

No one knows what the official thought process was on the play. Perhaps he was reading the NFHS rules book and didn't see the NFHS slide show or interpretations and ruled it just from reading the rule book. ;)

I'm sure after looking at the tape, he wishes he could have the call back because that wouldn't be a backcourt violation under NFHS, NCAA, or NBA (final two minutes of the 4th/OT).

constable Thu Dec 01, 2011 04:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 800983)
No one knows what the official thought process was on the play. Perhaps he was reading the NFHS rules book and didn't see the NFHS slide show or interpretations and ruled it just from reading the rule book. ;)

I'm sure after looking at the tape, he wishes he could have the call back because that wouldn't be a backcourt violation under NFHS, NCAA, or NBA (final two minutes of the 4th/OT).

Maybe he had FIBA on his mind because it would have been a backcourt violation there!

JugglingReferee Thu Dec 01, 2011 04:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 800984)
Maybe he had FIBA on his mind because it would have been a backcourt violation there!

In which case A1 should have manoeuvred to prevent B1 from getting the loose ball once it obtained BC status, and hope to run the clock out. :eek:

APG Thu Dec 01, 2011 04:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 800967)

Thought Ted Valentine standing in front of Izzo was comical.

Can't say that I liked it. Anyhow, here's the play:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2i__h5I4eHU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>