The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   APG Video Request (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83519-apg-video-request.html)

Adam Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:12pm

Seems to me the NCAA rule quoted by rut (using "caused") is different than the high school rule last to touch.)

Eastshire Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 801049)
Seems to me the NCAA rule quoted by rut (using "caused") is different than the high school rule last to touch.)

I don't think it's functionally different. The violation is still first to touch. Instead of last to touch we have caused to go. I think who ever touched it last in the front court is the one who caused it to go to the back court. However, I'm strictly a NFHS guy, so I could be wrong.

JRutledge Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 801051)
I don't think it's functionally different. The violation is still first to touch. Instead of last to touch we have caused to go. I think who ever touched it last in the front court is the one who caused it to go to the back court. However, I'm strictly a NFHS guy, so I could be wrong.

I do not see it as much different and I cannot find a Case play that suggests it is ruled totally different. My point was if a player touches the ball with feet in the BC, the ball is now in the BC, especially during a dribble. If the Duke player touched the ball before the OSU player did, then that is not a violation. But that is not my contention on this play either.

Peace

Camron Rust Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 801032)
Cameron,

I am still trying to figure out what I said was wrong. If you are touching the backcourt the ball is in the backcourt as a ball handler right. If the player took the ball to the backcourt, that is a violation if they were in possession of the ball or touching the ball in the FC first, which would have been the only way this was a violation in this play.

This is the NCAA Rule:
Section 12. Ball in Back Court

Art. 1. A player shall not be the first to touch the ball in his or her back court (with any part of his or her body, voluntarily or involuntarily) when the ball came from the front court while the player’s team was in team control and the player or a teammate caused the ball to go into the back court.

The question for me was always if TC ended with the OSU team and the Duke player took it over. Or if Duke player simply tipped the ball away then the OSU player was already in the BC, then that would not be a violation if they contacted the ball. And if it was so close to not tell, that is why I feel it probably was not called. But it looked to me like the OSU player might have taken the ball to the BC. I guess I do not see that as what we typically call a first to touch, last to touch situation as the issue is not who was first and last, the ball had FC status, then BC status by the player in control of the ball. Just like a player that is being trapped near the division line and steps into the BC or on the division line.

Peace

The phrase in the NCAA rule about causing the ball to GO into the backcourt is the equivalent to last to touch. It is not the same as causing the ball to BE OOB...which occurs when they are touched by the ball. The defensive player who deflected it towards the backcourt is the one who caused to ball to GO to the backcourt. Your statement about a player who was in the backcourt and touched by the ball is only a violation if a teamate was the one to deflected/passed/touched the ball causing it to GO to the backcourt.

I agree with everything you said in the 2nd paragraph....and they are all last to touch, first to touch situations. The backcourt rule simply revolves around the very moment the gains backcourt status and who touched it just before that moment and who touches it just after that moment...even if it is the same touch.

Welpe Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 801053)
If the Duke player touched the ball before the OSU player did, then that is not a violation.

Thank you for clarifying, I agree with you.

JRutledge Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 801057)
The phrase in the NCAA rule about causing the ball to GO into the backcourt is the equivalent to last to touch. It is not the same as causing the ball to BE OOB...which occurs when they are touched by the ball. The defensive player who deflected it towards the backcourt is the one who caused to ball to GO to the backcourt. Your statement about a player who was in the backcourt and touched by the ball is only a violation if a teamate was the one to deflected/passed/touched the ball causing it to GO to the backcourt.

I do not recall me saying that this was automatically a violation. I was simplying saying that the ball has BC status now. That has other ramifications as to if you have a new count or where can the player go. Who caused to be back there was not simply about if it was a violation. Actually I was unsure (and still unsure) if the player contacted the ball in the FC then stepped into the BC and that would be a violation.

Quote:

I agree with everything you said in the 2nd paragraph....and they are all last to touch, first to touch situations. The backcourt rule simply revolves around the very moment the gains backcourt status and who touched it just before that moment and who touches it just after that moment...even if it is the same touch.

OK, I disagree with the first and last to touch part or what it actually means, but I see your point. I think that is semantics but then again the NCAA Rules wording is a little different.

Peace

Raymond Thu Dec 01, 2011 03:14pm

Quote:

In the Duke/OSU play how did the defender cause the ball to go to the backcourt? The ball itself never reached the backcourt. It only attained that status when the OSU player touched the ball.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 01, 2011 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 801093)
In the Duke/OSU play how did the defender cause the ball to go to the backcourt? The ball itself never reached the backcourt. It only attained that status when the OSU player touched the ball.

And that player was in the backcourt.

"Cause" in this situation is not the same "cause" as is used in the OOB situation (where "cause" is clearly defined to include touching a player who is OOB).

"Cause" in the backcourt situation is the same as last to touch the ball before the moment before it touched or was touched by a player or the floor in the backcourt. "Cause" in this context is the player who sent the ball to the backcourt....not the one it touched at the end of the play.

The OSU player didn't cause the ball to come to him when he touched it...the Duke player caused it to be there.

Another way to look at it....Causing to GO vs. causing to BE. It is not a violation for a team to cause the ball to BE in the backcourt unless they also caused it to go into the backcourt and are the first to touch the ball after it does do.

Raymond Thu Dec 01, 2011 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 801108)
The OSU player didn't cause the ball to come to him when he touched it...the Duke player caused it to be there.

The Duke player caused the ball to be where?

I know what you are saying but I'm really just playing a game of semantics b/c quite often folks here have a condescending attitude towards anybody who understands the "Struckoff" interpretation of the play as if we're a bunch of idiots.

The wording of the backcourt rules could be tweeked to eliminate any chance of debate, but then folks would be offended because when they see a rule one way and one way only anybody who comes up a possible alternative interpration is also an idiot who now wants the entire rule book re-written for their own benefit. :rolleyes:

Camron Rust Thu Dec 01, 2011 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 801110)
The Duke player caused the ball to be where?

I know what you are saying but I'm really just playing a game of semantics b/c quite often folks here have a condescending attitude towards anybody who understands the "Struckoff" interpretation of the play as if we're a bunch of idiots.

The wording of the backcourt rules could be tweeked to eliminate any chance of debate, but then folks would be offended because when they see a rule one way and one way only anybody who comes up a possible alternative interpration is also an idiot who now wants the entire rule book re-written for their own benefit. :rolleyes:

Causing in this situation is the same as the last person to touch the ball BEFORE it gained backcourt status. Since it gained backcourt status the moment it was touched by the OSU player, you have to determine who was the last person to touch it before that point....the Duke player. That player caused it to go into the backcourt.

Simply but, there is nothing to understand about the Struckoff interp....it is fundamentally contrary to the written rule and has never been called that way. There is no possible way to twist it such that it makes sense...an event that happens before a point in time and an event that happens after a point in time can't be the same event. It defies basic logic. They are two separate events. Her interpretation has declared one event to both be before AND after a point in time.

The rule could certainly be rewritten so support her interpretation, but in its current form, it can not result in that interpretation.

JRutledge Thu Dec 01, 2011 05:30pm

For the record I do not care about the Struckoff interpretation. This was a college game with NCAA Rules. She does not control the Men's side and never did. I was not even thinking of her NF Interpretation anyway.

Peace

BktBallRef Thu Dec 01, 2011 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 800672)
Mary Struckoff would tell you this is a violation.

Who?

Camron Rust Thu Dec 01, 2011 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 801122)
For the record I do not care about the Struckoff interpretation. This was a college game with NCAA Rules. She does not control the Men's side and never did. I was not even thinking of her NF Interpretation anyway.

Peace

Agree....but others were bringing it into the discussion.