The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The key phrase is "initiates contact".

The two players are 2 feet apart. A1 head fakes. B1 jumps to block the shot. His jump would have caused him to land 1 foot closer. But A1 now jumps into B1 as he releases the shot. Who initiated the contact?
In that case, I'm calling the block as the defender is moving toward the shooter.

But, if B1 jumps clearly to the side, as they should, to avoid contact and the shooter steps the side into the defender, I'm not likely to call a defensive foul.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 07:30pm
We don't rent pigs

So where do we draw the line on this? The players are 2 feet apart. B1 jumps and would have landed 2 inches closer, but before he could land A1 jumps into his chest and throws up a shot. Is this foul still on the defense?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
So where do we draw the line on this? The players are 2 feet apart. B1 jumps and would have landed 2 inches closer, but before he could land A1 jumps into his chest and throws up a shot. Is this foul still on the defense?

I am not a referee, but according to the rules, that should be a defensive block.

Wouldn't it be easier if the NFHS and NCAA would have just listed clearly what a player can and can't do?
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 11:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty View Post
I am not a referee, but according to the rules, that should be a defensive block.

Wouldn't it be easier if the NFHS and NCAA would have just listed clearly what a player can and can't do?
I disagree. I'm not calling that foul. I can't tell the difference between two inches and vertical. I'm not allowing A1 to jump out of his way and get the foul call.
Just like on a breakaway when A1, with B1 trailing and going airborne, jumps sideways to create contact. No call.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Yes it does.

The rule clearly says the defender can't move toward the opponent.

The shooter can jump into the defender if he doesn't have LGP and/or he doesn't have a position on the floor that he legally obtained.

You have nothing to support your "airborne defender" theory. You're taking rules that don't apply and trying to spin them. It's a baseless argument. I'm done with it.
So if the defender bites a the pump fake and jumps only 6 inches toward the shooter, and then the shooter jumps 3 feet toward the defender, the foul is still on the defender?
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 08:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
So if the defender bites a the pump fake and jumps only 6 inches toward the shooter, and then the shooter jumps 3 feet toward the defender, the foul is still on the defender?
Yes. The defender did not maintain legal guarding position. This is not a judgement I've ever even *thought* of trying to make nor, IMO, should I.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 01:15pm
We don't rent pigs

If A1 is stationary and approached by B1, and B1's movement itself clearly would not have caused any contact, then A1 launches himself at B1, this is not even a legal guarding position issue.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Exactly, you are not an official, so what you have to say is not based on standard practice. And there is a little rule called verticality that applies as well. Also we do not have a measuring device out there either to judge if someone was an inch or two one way or another. So if the defender is vertical and the offensive player jumps into the defender, I am not calling a foul on defender. And that is not what the NCAA or the NF wants if you look at their information they put out to describe those plays. Also a ball handler cannot clear out anyone regardless of LGP or even their verticality.

Peace