The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Other than that play, he had a lot of great advice for me.
I don't know what your experience level is, but if you're new I would be leery of accepting advice from a territorial guy.
Of course you would want to listen to everyone who offers, but then I would verify the recent camps he has attended & what level of ball he works. Many of these posers are sharing outdated info!
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

I am trying to understand your order of events here. Is this it?

Time-out requested
Delay
Player gains control after delay
Time-out granted.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:05pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I don't know what your experience level is, but if you're new I would be leery of accepting advice from a territorial guy.
Of course you would want to listen to everyone who offers, but then I would verify the recent camps he has attended & what level of ball he works. Many of these posers are sharing outdated info!
Thanks for the heads up. I'm in my third year now with the state of Illinois with aspirations to get to the varsity level. The other advice he had for me was little stuff that made a lot of sense to me.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar, but slightly different situation last night. It's a situation that's happened to me before, but this time I didn't let it rattle me.

I'm T table side as the ball is on the wing on my side. A1 has the ball and gets trapped by two B players and starts to panic. I hear (who I think) is A's coach screaming for a time out. I glance quickly to make sure it's him and not someone in the stands. As I glance back at the play and blow my whistle, I see the ball is now loose and rolling around on the floor. I grant the timeout to A, and B's fans go nuts.

B's coach wants to know how Coach A can call a timeout while his team isn't control of the ball.

"She did have control when he requested it. Just because my whistle blows a split second later doesn't mean he didn't legally request the timeout."

He was disappointed but I think he understood.

Best case scenario, of course, would have been for my partner to see Coach A requesting the time out and grab it quickly, but I think he was blocked out by the B players position and couldn't see possession. So I had to glance.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
I am trying to understand your order of events here. Is this it?

Time-out requested repeatedly
Delay/scramble
Player gains control after delay/scramble
Time-out granted.
Revisions in red/bold/italics
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
In my experience, officials who are "territorial" are very much about ego. It's THEIR area, so they don't want you coming into THEIR area, making THEIR calls. They don't want to look bad by having you come into their area and call something.
That may be true, but that is not what was asked. He was asking whether a person should go get something (specifically, verifying control for the purposes of a timeout) out of their primary.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That may be true, but that is not what was asked. He was asking whether a person should go get something (specifically, verifying control for the purposes of a timeout) out of their primary.
Not what who asked? The OP? I wasn't speaking to the OP when I brought up the "ego" issue. I was responding to a post from bainsey, who said "I don't see what good it does to be territorial.

It helps to read the entire thread.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:32pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
"She did have control when he requested it. Just because my whistle blows a split second later doesn't mean he didn't legally request the timeout."
Well said. We have to check the validity of a request. If the ball pops loose afterwards, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492
Time-out requested repeatedly
Delay/scramble
Player gains control after delay/scramble
Time-out granted.
For the sake of clarity, is this list completely sequential, or are the time-out requests continuing while the player has control? If the former, denied. If the latter, granted.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
\

For the sake of clarity, is this list completely sequential, or are the time-out requests continuing while the player has control? If the former, denied. If the latter, granted.
This
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=bainsey;799744]It's a PRIMARY coverage area, not an EXCLUSIVE coverage area.

Outstanding way to address this issue!
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not what who asked? The OP? I wasn't speaking to the OP when I brought up the "ego" issue. I was responding to a post from bainsey, who said "I don't see what good it does to be territorial.

It helps to read the entire thread.
I did, but I don't reread the entire thread with each new post. When your reply is intended to address a specific comment not part of the original question, it is advisable to be clear about that. These linear forums just aren't conducive to reading the minds of other posters.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
When your reply is intended to address a specific comment not part of the original question, it is advisable to be clear about that.
Seriously? I did make it clear, by quoting bainsey. It wasn't like I just threw it out there randomly. Why are you looking to be a plumber today?
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

THere is a difference between granting a TO request and calling a held ball right in front of your partner. You do the first, not the second.