The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 10:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Even if you're the L with all ten players running motion above the FT line extended & there was an obvious foul that your partner no-called because they didnt position adjust?

Also, isnt the object of the basketball officiating to referee your primary matchup(s) while seeing as many of the other players as possible?

I hate discussing plays when partners get all defensive about their incorrect no-calls & resort to "you shouldn't have been looking there in the first place."
With a new official, I'm not going to stretch his primary. Once he learns his primary and how to avoid ball watching, we can discuss situations where he needs to expand.

My response to a poached call is, "What did you see?" If I saw something different, I'll mention it. I move on unless he expresses a willingness to actually discuss it openly.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
That's a load of BS. All new officials have trouble letting go of watching the ball. It's something that takes time and discipline to overcome. As a new official it has nothing to do with trusting your partner.
You beat me to it!
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Avoid watching the ball is most difficult especially for the new referees like myself. During my examination, I missed about 2 calls away from the ball because I looked at the ball instead of the players. One of them was a push/block. Evaluator does not like what I did, just hey, I'm still learning.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

This worked - - and still works - for me

One method of overcoming the tendency to watch the ball is to do the following:
When you transition from Trail to Lead, get to the endline quickly. On the way, think of your new PCA, and look towards it. When you get to the endline, turn your body so that your angle is facing your PCA, rather than being square to the court. Indeed, force yourself to face your PCA, and to look there, even though the ball, and most of the action, is not in your PCA.
As you get comfortable with this attitude, or posture, you will find that you can trust your partner, as you will notice his/her calls that you really didn't see. Making a mental note of such calls will re-enforce your desire, and positive result of "working my PCA" and "trusting my partner."
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Or maybe he's just intentionally trying to get under bob's skin
IMO, a couple of people seem to be trying to get under the skins of several others.

Can't speak for all of the others, but I'm not really bothered by it.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 10:46am
This IS My Social Life

Don't Argue with Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
IMO, a couple of people seem to be trying to get under the skins of several others. Can't speak for all of the others, but I'm not really bothered by it.
I'm not bothered by it either. If only everyone followed the time-honored principle that "Bob is right...", none of the ad hominems (can I make a plural out of a Latin phrase like that?) would ever have been posted.

Does make for some entertaining moments while monitoring the forum at work, however.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 11:22am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I hereby find you guilty of premature emasculation.
'

Well, I guess it is better than being guilty of premature . Nope not going down the road.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
One method of overcoming the tendency to watch the ball is to do the following:
When you transition from Trail to Lead, get to the endline quickly. On the way, think of your new PCA, and look towards it. When you get to the endline, turn your body so that your angle is facing your PCA, rather than being square to the court. Indeed, force yourself to face your PCA, and to look there, even though the ball, and most of the action, is not in your PCA.
As you get comfortable with this attitude, or posture, you will find that you can trust your partner, as you will notice his/her calls that you really didn't see. Making a mental note of such calls will re-enforce your desire, and positive result of "working my PCA" and "trusting my partner."
What is an "PCA" ? thanks,
New REf
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie-ref View Post
New REf
Primary coverage area
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 03:05pm
This IS My Social Life

Daffynition

Quote:
New REf
Primary Coverage Area, also called simply your "Primary"
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 04:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO, Two Person ...

Quote:
What is an "PCA" ?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
There's no reason to believe that...perhaps English is not the poster's first language and just because he hasn't visited in the past 24 hours doesn't mean he hasn't either a.)visited as a guest or b.)just hasn't been able to get on in the past 24 hours.
Thanks. English is not my first language. Getting there.