The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I'm not grasping your point in saying 2-man is a crime and should be treated as such.

Yes, 3-man officiating is better, but in most cases, it's not as if those working on a 2-man crew have a choice in the matter.
He's being dramatic to make his point (with which I agree). Obviously we rarely have the ability to dictate whether we work 2- or 3-man.

It's a "crime" that some leagues only allow for 2-man crews.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
He's being dramatic to make his point (with which I agree). Obviously we rarely have the ability to dictate whether we work 2- or 3-man.

It's a "crime" that some leagues only allow for 2-man crews.
Gotcha...
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I'm not grasping your point in saying 2-man is a crime and should be treated as such.

Yes, 3-man officiating is better, but in most cases, it's not as if those working on a 2-man crew have a choice in the matter.
You dont grasp many things that are discussed here fiasco... j/k

Thats where you're wrong, we are independent contractors & we either accept or decline assignments.
I'll tell you what, if my 16 games with 2 person in this particular big school league (that has more than enough money to buy the 3rd) doesnt go well this season, next year I plan on telling the assignors "if it aint THREE dont pick ME" as many of the others have obviously done this year.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
"if it aint THREE dont pick ME"
Interesting. So are you suggesting that someone who lives in a state or association that does only 2-man just...what...sit out in protest and not work any games?

In other words, your philosophy may work fine for you, but it's not realistic for many officials.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

No no no, not saying that, never said anything like that.

If the entire State is 2 person, what can you do?? Work those games, get better & hope to move up to college ball.

Just speaking for myself. All of our majors have 3 person crews (except the one switching back this season) & some of our 3As have 3 person as well, depending on who you're working for. If all we had was 2s & I wasnt so spoiled by getting 3s early on, I wouldn't know any different & I probably still couldn't wait til game night!
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No no no, not saying that, never said anything like that.
Let's be perfectly clear.

I said:

Quote:
in most cases, it's not as if those working on a 2-man crew have a choice in the matter.
to which you said

Quote:
Thats where you're wrong, we are independent contractors & we either accept or decline assignments.
My point still stands. It's not as cut and dry as just saying "if you don't like it, don't accept the game."

You may have a choice, but for a lot of officials, it's not really a choice at all. You do the games you get assigned, or you don't get assigned any more games.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Got it. All I can say to those officials is... IT SUCKS 4 YOU!! LOL
Really though, they can't miss what they never had.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 06:24pm
Administrator

The Observations of a Bald Old Geezer.

The posts in the thread have been very good and informative. BUT, I think we have been had by the Author of this thread. He just joined the Forum and has not returned to the Forum since starting the thread, coupled with the fact his command of the English language leads me to believe that he was a troll.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The posts in the thread have been very good and informative. BUT, I think we have been had by the Author of this thread. He just joined the Forum and has not returned to the Forum since starting the thread, coupled with the fact his command of the English language leads me to believe that he was a troll.

MTD, Sr.
There's no reason to believe that...perhaps English is not the poster's first language and just because he hasn't visited in the past 24 hours doesn't mean he hasn't either a.)visited as a guest or b.)just hasn't been able to get on in the past 24 hours.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
There's no reason to believe that...perhaps English is not the poster's first language and just because he hasn't visited in the past 24 hours doesn't mean he hasn't either a.)visited as a guest or b.)just hasn't been able to get on in the past 24 hours.
Or maybe he's just intentionally trying to get under bob's skin
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

UPDATE -- UPDATE -- UPDATE --

OK.. I've done a retry. Did somewhat better then the previous day. This applys to a 2 man ref team. What was the best position for the lead ref. I was told to "stay out of the key" and don't lean while watching, relax. use your eyes.

My big struggle is lead position. What are the ABC's of it. Thank you in advance.

Newbie-ref.

Won't be able to do 3 man ref for a long while
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Here is my goal setting.. what do you think.

1. work on mechanics, using trail and lead position on 2 man. 3 man later on.
2. don't lean while watching. May not get a good angle of the players.
3. don't watch the ball, watch the player. (unless you need to look for a 3 pt shot, etc.)
4. always communicate with your partner.

Once those have been accomplished, I could work on
1. Know the difference when person travels, double dribble, palm/carry

Well.. thats all I can think of out of the top of my head.

Just working a small step at a time. I was told pick 2 goals short term. Once you accomplished, get better, then choose next 2-3 new goals.
Happy hollidays.

Newbie-ref.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 08:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Even if you're the L with all ten players running motion above the FT line extended & there was an obvious foul that your partner no-called because they didnt position adjust?

Did you really think that was the play I was talking about?

No, here's the ultimate example:

Earlier this year, jr. high boys. I am lead. A1 shoots a 3 deep in the corner, 6 feet in front of me. He wasn't even (I don't think) that close to the line. I marked it, partner (a rookie) didn't pick it up, so I signaled it good. I happened to catch sight of him shaking his head and holding out 2 fingers. I found out after the game that he had overruled my call as he passed the table. "No, no. It was a 2."

When we discussed it afterward, he said he was positive the foot was on the line. I told him I was certain it wasn't, but that wasn't even the point. There were 8 other players between us somewhere, and yes, "You had no business looking over there." Secondly, that he needed to trust his partner on this one, because I obviously had a better look.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 09:01pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie-ref View Post

....don't lean while watching, relax. use your eyes.
Never heard this one before. I guess I get it, but this seems like somewhat a matter of individual posture.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 10:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.

I hereby find you guilty of premature emasculation.