The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 18, 2011, 11:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Hey college guys (or gals)

Just curious. How many, and what kind, of timeouts are allowed in NCAA-M and NCAA-W?

Thanks.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 12:12am
M.A.S.H.

NCAA-M

Depends on whether there's media timeouts or not.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Non-media game: each team gets four 75-second TOs and two that are 30-seconds.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Non-media game: each team gets four 75-second TOs and two that are 30-seconds.
And, one of the "media" formats (there are several) can be used even if there isn't media present.

NCAAM and NCAAW are the same on this.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 09:09am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, one of the "media" formats (there are several) can be used even if there isn't media present.
Bob beat me to it. I can't wait for one of my D3 conferences to go to the media format.

I did a D3 conference tournament game a couple years ago. The conference decided to use the media format for all of its playoff games because the NCAA tournament was going to use it, and they wanted their players to be used to it before they got to the nat'l tournament.

Anyway, the players HATED it. A couple times, the horn would sound, I'd say, "media time-out, guys", and somebody would say "Already? Jeez!" They hated the interruptions. Gotta say I agree with them.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 11:34am
Do not give a damn!!

I once worked an NAIA conference that had media timeouts every game. Now they were not the normal format and we had them at 15 and 7 minutes (if I remember correctly) during each half. They were built in and we had to use them and no one complained as the players seemed used to them.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

I hate the NCAA media timeout format.

If I remember correctly there was an Elite 8 or Final Four game where there was continuous action long enough to "miss" a media timeout and go until the next. Well a team took a timeout, play starts again, foul on the next trip, and NOW we take a media timeout. The NBA does its mandatory timeouts correctly to minimize the interruptions...same with when they use the monitor but that's another story.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Nov 19, 2011, 12:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thanks, everyone. I noticed that some of the networks are indicating the number of timeouts left on their mini-scoreboard on the screen, just like they've been doing for football games.

BTW - what's the timeout policy for, dare I say it, OT? Do unused timeouts carry over and/or are there additional one(s) for the OT? Thanks again.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Thanks, everyone. I noticed that some of the networks are indicating the number of timeouts left on their mini-scoreboard on the screen, just like they've been doing for football games.

BTW - what's the timeout policy for, dare I say it, OT? Do unused timeouts carry over and/or are there additional one(s) for the OT? Thanks again.
Carry over. One additional TO per team in OT. If it's a game on TV, the extra TO is likely a 30-secodn TO

In most of the games you'll see on TV, a team gets 4 30-second TOs and 1 60-second TO. Only 3 of the 30-second TOs can be carried over to the second half.

Meda at the first stoppage under 16, 12, 8, 4 each half, plus the first TO called in the second half is also the length of a media TO
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 10:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

I know some people will find this post distasteful, but I go to a *lot* of games in Madison -- I have men's season tickets.

Invariably, there will be a cheap whistle (usually a foul that, in my estimation, wouldn't have been called at any other time) of some kind just seconds after a media timeout threshold.

Last night was the exception. Not a single whistle from 16+ minutes left in the first half until 12:43. Media timeout. Next whistle was at 12:02. Next whistle, yup, ANOTHER media timeout.

And this game was ONLY on ESPN3 last night.