The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Questions for the college guys...

I'm thinking about applying for NCAA D2 and I have a few questions, nothing rule related, just trying to figure some things out before I commit myself.

- How many hours are required during the week throughout the season and the offseason? (Meetings, scrimmages, practices, etc...)

- What happens if you are assigned to a crew and you can't make a certain week? (family/work emergencies, etc...)

- Alot of times there's alot of distance between colleges in a certain conference, is there a milage limit or are you open to every game in the conference?

- REPLAY: If you have a call that is overturned by replay, does this affect your ratings? I'm sure if you have obvious calls that are constantly reviewed, then it would affect them, I'm just not sure about he not-so obvious calls.

Thanks for the input!
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty1973 View Post
I'm thinking about applying for NCAA D2 and I have a few questions, nothing rule related, just trying to figure some things out before I commit myself.

- How many hours are required during the week throughout the season and the offseason? (Meetings, scrimmages, practices, etc...)

- What happens if you are assigned to a crew and you can't make a certain week? (family/work emergencies, etc...)

- Alot of times there's alot of distance between colleges in a certain conference, is there a milage limit or are you open to every game in the conference?

- REPLAY: If you have a call that is overturned by replay, does this affect your ratings? I'm sure if you have obvious calls that are constantly reviewed, then it would affect them, I'm just not sure about he not-so obvious calls.

Thanks for the input!
It sounds to me you have some concerns re your family and job. If you are going to commit to college football at the D2 level or above you need to understand those supervisors are nothing like your HS assigners. In fact, many D3 supervisors are just as demanding. You start putting caveats on how far you will go or start canceling out of games you have been assigned you might as well hang it up. You can generally block some dates before the season begins but unless you are some unusually talented or connected guy, they do not much care about being flexible for you.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just trying to find out what I'm getting into. Once I'm committed, I have no problem doing whatever it takes to fulfill the committment. I'm military so I'm just wondering if I should wait until I retire in 2 yrs or go for it now.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I know 2 active duty guys working (1 in ACC and 1 in a D2 conference) But both are in Pentagon jobs which are esentially a 9-5 type gig. If you have a similar deal, it could be workable
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
- How many hours are required during the week throughout the season and the offseason? (Meetings, scrimmages, practices, etc
We’ll my typical Saturday after a Friday night game is get up as late as possible. Pregame starts 150 minutes prior to kickoff and usually sit down breakfast with the crew is looked upon favorably. So if kickoff is at noon and the game is two hours away (average) then I’ll be leaving the house at 6:30am and getting back home near 5-5:30pm.

Quote:
- What happens if you are assigned to a crew and you can't make a certain week? (family/work emergencies, etc...
I would not let it happen more than once, the coordinator of officials wants people he can count on.

Quote:
I’d ask those already in that conference. Our assignments range from 5 ˝ hours to the west of me to 2 1/2 hours south, to 3 hours east. Now if you head east for most of your games, you don’t head west very often.

Quote:
Our D2 conference does not have replay yet.

Last edited by Sonofanump; Mon Dec 21, 2009 at 09:51pm.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is such a personal and local issue. My area if you work regular college football, you are doing so with a crew. That crew chief has a lot of say in who works on a given time and they work with the assignor to find out who is working. And in college football in my area, you can work any level other than a D1 level on your crew. At lot of that commitment you are talking about is based on what level you are working and who is your crew chief. Because in the Chicago area there are so many schools close, the time commitment is not that heavy when you only have to go 30 minutes from your house. And other times you might go 3 hours. There is no straight answer to this. I would suggest that you ask people in your area what they have to do and how much time they have to commit to. None of us are really going to be able to answer this for you accurately without putting our own personal situations involved that may or may not help you.

Peace