The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hey college guys (or gals) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83240-hey-college-guys-gals.html)

Mark Padgett Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:14pm

Hey college guys (or gals)

Just curious. How many, and what kind, of timeouts are allowed in NCAA-M and NCAA-W?

Thanks.

tjones1 Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:12am

NCAA-M

Depends on whether there's media timeouts or not.

Nevadaref Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:42am

Non-media game: each team gets four 75-second TOs and two that are 30-seconds.

bob jenkins Sat Nov 19, 2011 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 799214)
Non-media game: each team gets four 75-second TOs and two that are 30-seconds.

And, one of the "media" formats (there are several) can be used even if there isn't media present.

NCAAM and NCAAW are the same on this.

Scrapper1 Sat Nov 19, 2011 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 799223)
And, one of the "media" formats (there are several) can be used even if there isn't media present.

Bob beat me to it. I can't wait for one of my D3 conferences to go to the media format.:rolleyes:

I did a D3 conference tournament game a couple years ago. The conference decided to use the media format for all of its playoff games because the NCAA tournament was going to use it, and they wanted their players to be used to it before they got to the nat'l tournament.

Anyway, the players HATED it. A couple times, the horn would sound, I'd say, "media time-out, guys", and somebody would say "Already? Jeez!" They hated the interruptions. Gotta say I agree with them.

JRutledge Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:34am

I once worked an NAIA conference that had media timeouts every game. Now they were not the normal format and we had them at 15 and 7 minutes (if I remember correctly) during each half. They were built in and we had to use them and no one complained as the players seemed used to them.

Peace

APG Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:37pm

I hate the NCAA media timeout format.

If I remember correctly there was an Elite 8 or Final Four game where there was continuous action long enough to "miss" a media timeout and go until the next. Well a team took a timeout, play starts again, foul on the next trip, and NOW we take a media timeout. The NBA does its mandatory timeouts correctly to minimize the interruptions...same with when they use the monitor but that's another story.

Mark Padgett Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:39pm

Thanks, everyone. I noticed that some of the networks are indicating the number of timeouts left on their mini-scoreboard on the screen, just like they've been doing for football games.

BTW - what's the timeout policy for, dare I say it, OT? Do unused timeouts carry over and/or are there additional one(s) for the OT? Thanks again.

bob jenkins Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 799239)
Thanks, everyone. I noticed that some of the networks are indicating the number of timeouts left on their mini-scoreboard on the screen, just like they've been doing for football games.

BTW - what's the timeout policy for, dare I say it, OT? Do unused timeouts carry over and/or are there additional one(s) for the OT? Thanks again.

Carry over. One additional TO per team in OT. If it's a game on TV, the extra TO is likely a 30-secodn TO

In most of the games you'll see on TV, a team gets 4 30-second TOs and 1 60-second TO. Only 3 of the 30-second TOs can be carried over to the second half.

Meda at the first stoppage under 16, 12, 8, 4 each half, plus the first TO called in the second half is also the length of a media TO

Rich Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:47am

I know some people will find this post distasteful, but I go to a *lot* of games in Madison -- I have men's season tickets.

Invariably, there will be a cheap whistle (usually a foul that, in my estimation, wouldn't have been called at any other time) of some kind just seconds after a media timeout threshold.

Last night was the exception. Not a single whistle from 16+ minutes left in the first half until 12:43. Media timeout. Next whistle was at 12:02. Next whistle, yup, ANOTHER media timeout.

And this game was ONLY on ESPN3 last night.