The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

What do you have?

Team A is down by one point with 11.5 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter. Ball is inbounded on the end line. Team B applies full court pressure. A1 and A2 pass the ball back and forth between each other in the back court to avoid a defensive trap.

With 2 seconds left, A1, still in the backcourt, heaves the ball towards his team's basket. As the ball is in the air, the buzzer sounds. The ball goes in the basket.

What do you have?
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

A made 3 point shot at the buzzer and Team A win by 4?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Team A 3 pt. shot good. 2 point win. No 10 sec. violation was called or am I missing something?
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
A made 3 point shot at the buzzer and Team A win by 4?
While it is an impressive shot, I don't think there is any provision to give them 5 points for it.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Would I have the guts to call it?

Technically a backcourt violation, but only if my hand count hit ten seconds. I wouldn't use the clock to make the call.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Basket good.

Team control ended on the release (after 9.5 seconds) so the 10 second count was no longer in effect. No violation.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
While it is an impressive shot, I don't think there is any provision to give them 5 points for it.
Psht...it's obvious you aren't reading the right rule book.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 11:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Basket good.

Team control ended on the release (after 9.5 seconds) so the 10 second count was no longer in effect. No violation.
this
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

This sitch came up when I was talking with some reffing buddies of mine in between rec league games on Saturday. One of them had this happen to him in a game earlier this year.

He waved the basket off and called a back court violation. When I asked him why he did that -- since team control ends on a try for goal and thus you can't have a backcourt violation -- he backtracked and said, in his opinion, the player wasn't really attempting a shot, just heaving the ball in the general direction of the goal.

I just said okay.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
He waved the basket off and called a back court violation. When I asked him why he did that -- since team control ends on a try for goal and thus you can't have a backcourt violation -- he backtracked and said, in his opinion, the player wasn't really attempting a shot, just heaving the ball in the general direction of the goal.

I just said okay.
He obviously doesn't ref MS games
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
He obviously doesn't ref MS games
More like he's never seen a basketball game in his life. A team down by a point and heaving it with little time left in the game? A play you see at every freakin' level.

Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Ego can't admit he kicked it
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
More like he's never seen a basketball game in his life. A team down by a point and heaving it with little time left in the game? A play you see at every freakin' level.
I think it was more of him covering his tracks when he found out that, by rule, he was wrong. Trying to use a different rule to justify the call.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Officiating the game situation

Case Book 9.8.A "While the ball is in the air traveling from backcourt to frontcourt, the 10-second count is reached."
RULING: Violation by Team A as the ball has not gained frontcourt location.

I made this call, years ago, when the ball was definitely passed at the 9-second point in my count, and traveled in the air to a 12 count, without gaining frontcourt location.

In the OP, the game situation trumps this call, because of the time remaining, and the obvious shot attempt. There is no way that it was not a shot.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 10:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

That case play involves a pass. Camron was right, team control ends as soon as the shot is released, so the 10 second count would terminate. If the shot is blocked, and A1 recovers, he gets a new 10 seconds (a highly unlikely scenario due to the fact that no one takes this shot with more than 10 seconds on the clock.).

The game situation does not trump the call, although it may inform your decision regarding whether it is a shot or pass. I think that's what you meant, but I wanted to state that if this was an actual violation, the game situation shouldn't matter.