The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 03, 2011, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Looking for high-tops

Have seen all the other shoe threads here but wanted to ask if anyone has a good line on all-black high-tops for officiating. Have bad ankles from playing days and prefer not to have to try regular height shoes.

Seems the all-black high-tops are getting harder to find this year, especially without all the bling on them that players nowadays like. New Balance had one (of poor quality the two times I got it most recently) but even it's now on back order for months or nobody has it.

Along the same line, anybody with suspect ankle history make the jump successfully from high-cut to low-cut? Looks like I might be forced to go that route ... could be a relief, but I just don't want to find out the hard way with an ankle turn or sprain that I shouldn't have been running around without high-tops, and miss a chunk of the season.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2011, 12:06pm
TODO: creative title here

Can't really help you on the high-tops question, but you might consider getting a couple of these as an alternative. They're completely black, so they wouldn't show any more then black socks would.

I wore them for years back in my football playing days.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Larger sizes appear to be out of stock, but I use the low cut version and like them.

Official Footwear MidCut Patent Leather Basketball Shoes: Ump Attire
Old Thu Nov 03, 2011, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Kobe's

Recently there has been a push to protect ankles with low top shoes. Before you stop reading, hear me out. The Nike reps told Kobe than more important than how high the shoes comes up on the outside of your ankle, is the way your ankle sits in the shoe. Thus Kobe has been wearing lows for a while, and his shoe is low. If you look at the heel of the new Kobe's on the inside you'll see what I mean. I have friends who play professionally overseas that wear them, as well as guys in rec leagues who didn't have any problems either.

Just a thought. Not sure if they have all black in this type of shoe.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2011, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post
Recently there has been a push to protect ankles with low top shoes. Before you stop reading, hear me out. The Nike reps told Kobe than more important than how high the shoes comes up on the outside of your ankle, is the way your ankle sits in the shoe. Thus Kobe has been wearing lows for a while, and his shoe is low. If you look at the heel of the new Kobe's on the inside you'll see what I mean. I have friends who play professionally overseas that wear them, as well as guys in rec leagues who didn't have any problems either.

Just a thought. Not sure if they have all black in this type of shoe.
Totally agree with this. Many of the low shoes now provide better protection against ankle roll than previous high tops did. I've had several severe rolls in my life and all were in high tops. I've moved to lows over the last 5 years and no problems at all. That goes for playing, running, reffing, everything.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Have seen all the other shoe threads here but wanted to ask if anyone has a good line on all-black high-tops for officiating. Have bad ankles from playing days and prefer not to have to try regular height shoes.

Seems the all-black high-tops are getting harder to find this year, especially without all the bling on them that players nowadays like. New Balance had one (of poor quality the two times I got it most recently) but even it's now on back order for months or nobody has it.

Along the same line, anybody with suspect ankle history make the jump successfully from high-cut to low-cut? Looks like I might be forced to go that route ... could be a relief, but I just don't want to find out the hard way with an ankle turn or sprain that I shouldn't have been running around without high-tops, and miss a chunk of the season.
I absolutely agree with the gentleman above. After 9 marathons, I've become to understand shoe design a little bit better than I care to admit. I chuckle at posts that state "these shoes have the best support" while another poster states "these shoes have no support, they suck". Of course that's the case, everyone's feet are different!

As a runner I know that I need a "motion control" shoe if I want to avoid injury for a significant period of time. However, I can't go to the shelf and pick up any motion control shoe because each shoe is still made differently (even within the same brand). It's difficult with officiating shoes because you cannot always go to your local retailer to try them on.

I would highly recommend going to a specialty running store and asking for a "gait analysis" (which is free at reputable running stores). From there they will tell you what type of shoes would work best (neutral/motion control/cushion). If you get a pair of QUALITY shoes that don't fit well but you like the style, take a trip to your running store (with the shoes). They can fit you with an insole that will help support your foot correctly. I prefer superfeet insoles. Unlike shoe cushioning, superfeet seem to last years (usually the smell gets bad before the product does). With that said, shoes aren't made to last forever. If you have had your shoes for awhile (officiating shoes 3+ years) and you're getting odd pains in your ankles/knees/hips, it's probably time to get new shoes because they have lost their cushioning.

Enough of that, I'll get off my soapbox. If anyone is interested in barefoot running, let me know and I'll give you my two cents on that too FYI, I have yet to officiate barefoot

-Josh
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
Totally agree with this. Many of the low shoes now provide better protection against ankle roll than previous high tops did. I've had several severe rolls in my life and all were in high tops. I've moved to lows over the last 5 years and no problems at all. That goes for playing, running, reffing, everything.
Great info -- I've wondered about this. Might alternate high- and low-tops for a while this season to see what comes of it. Would love to make the transition as you did, Blindol.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 11:43am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Might alternate high- and low-tops for a while this season to see what comes of it.
For a real comparison, why don't you try wearing one of each?
Old Sat Nov 05, 2011, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

2 cents, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I.

I would highly recommend going to a specialty running store and asking for a "gait analysis" (which is free at reputable running stores). +1

Enough of that, I'll get off my soapbox. If anyone is interested in barefoot running, let me know and I'll give you my two cents on that too FYI, I have yet to officiate barefoot

-Josh
Ok, let's hear your 2 cents about barefoot running.