The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS vs. NCAA Mens (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82710-nfhs-vs-ncaa-mens.html)

NCHSAA Sun Oct 23, 2011 07:58pm

NFHS vs. NCAA Mens

I am making the transition from HS to college ball (Mens) and what are the big differences to study between the two??

- Shot clock
- Technical Fouls (POI), except dead ball tech/flagrant
- No timeout with momentum carrying you out

Right now off the top of my head this is all that comes to mind. Any others?? Or pointers??

tjones1 Sun Oct 23, 2011 09:47pm

There is a nice table with the major differences in the back of NFHS Rule Book.

That's where I started and it helped me out a lot.

Scrapper1 Sun Oct 23, 2011 09:57pm

In NCAA-M, an airborne shooter who commits a common foul is not assessed a player control foul.

JRutledge Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:38pm

• Restricted Area.
  • Flagrant Fouls (classifications)
  • Bleeding player

Actually there are a lot of differences. I think is better to read a lot of definitions and read the casebook. If you just rely on differences, you will screw up the many facets of a rule. There really are not shortcuts to learning rules at that level.

Peace

Raymond Mon Oct 24, 2011 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 795479)
I am making the transition from HS to college ball (Mens) and what are the big differences to study between the two??

- Shot clock
- Technical Fouls (POI), except dead ball tech/flagrant
- No timeout with momentum carrying you out

Right now off the top of my head this is all that comes to mind. Any others?? Or pointers??

You need to master the NCAA rule book independently of the NFHS rule book. There are many small differences that turn out being huge.

The rules are different for an airborne player w/the ball who falls to the ground (ie: a player who jumps to catch a pass or rebound and then falls straight to the floor). The rules are different if a defensive player is laying (lying???) on the floor and A1 trips over him. You have the stopped clock in the last minute of the second half and OT on made baskets. Rules concerning substitutions in the last minute if you have an inadvertant whistle or correction to the score or time. Different categorization of technical fouls and whether or not they apply to the team foul count. Different rule concerning who may shoot the 2nd shot of a technical foul. Injured players who cannot shoot their own foul shots.

See what I'm getting at? Master the rules separately and then worry about what may be different or the same.

Scrapper1 Mon Oct 24, 2011 07:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 795655)
The rules are different for an airborne player w/the ball who falls to the ground (ie: a player who jumps to catch a pass or rebound and then falls straight to the floor).

They are? :confused: Isn't that sitch a travel in both rulesets?

bob jenkins Tue Oct 25, 2011 07:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 795738)
They are? :confused: Isn't that sitch a travel in both rulesets?

FED 4-44-5a: A player holding the ball may not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.

NCAA 4-72-6: It is travelling when a player falls to the playing court while holding the ball without maintaining a pivot foot.

AR 132 indicates that it is "virtually impossible" not to move the pivot foot when falling to the floor.

The rules are different, but 95% of the plays would be called the same.

Scrapper1 Tue Oct 25, 2011 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 795766)
NCAA 4-72-6: It is travelling when a player falls to the playing court while holding the ball without maintaining a pivot foot.

I actually knew that reference, but I guess I didn't think of that rule in reference to an airborne player. I always thought of it as a player standing with the ball and going to a knee. In that case, it would be pretty easy to maintain a pivot foot.

Re-reading it, I can see that would also apply to the airborne player. So, my bad. (But I think we could remove the word "virtually" from that AR.)