View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 01:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
I am making the transition from HS to college ball (Mens) and what are the big differences to study between the two??

- Shot clock
- Technical Fouls (POI), except dead ball tech/flagrant
- No timeout with momentum carrying you out

Right now off the top of my head this is all that comes to mind. Any others?? Or pointers??
You need to master the NCAA rule book independently of the NFHS rule book. There are many small differences that turn out being huge.

The rules are different for an airborne player w/the ball who falls to the ground (ie: a player who jumps to catch a pass or rebound and then falls straight to the floor). The rules are different if a defensive player is laying (lying???) on the floor and A1 trips over him. You have the stopped clock in the last minute of the second half and OT on made baskets. Rules concerning substitutions in the last minute if you have an inadvertant whistle or correction to the score or time. Different categorization of technical fouls and whether or not they apply to the team foul count. Different rule concerning who may shoot the 2nd shot of a technical foul. Injured players who cannot shoot their own foul shots.

See what I'm getting at? Master the rules separately and then worry about what may be different or the same.