The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Point of emphasis

One of the points of emphasis for this season is that we are not to let the teams run around the gym on their way to their warmup side of the court.

I told another referee that this has always been a rule but now I can't find it. I went through the whole rule book last night and didn't see it.

Am I missing it or is it just my imagination?

And what would be the penalty? (Which is why I want to find the rule.)

Rita
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 12:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Rita,

I do not think this is a rule, just and interpretation of existing sportsmanship rules. Just like you do not have rules that say it is illegal to pop the front of your jersey or that what actually shows disgust when complaining about a call or situation. I also think you need to follow the standard that your state says as well as they may have specific guidelines for what running around the court means or when this is over the top. We cannot even have a team run under the bench of the team they are against.

We were also told to penalize the team, not the head coach.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Rita, Is that a State or Fed POE?
I've heard the same thing over the years. I went as far back as an 08-09 book & I dont see anything either.
I guess it could fall under an unsporting technical for taunting & baiting...

Thoughts?
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
One of the points of emphasis for this season is that we are not to let the teams run around the gym on their way to their warmup side of the court.

I told another referee that this has always been a rule but now I can't find it. I went through the whole rule book last night and didn't see it.

Am I missing it or is it just my imagination?

And what would be the penalty? (Which is why I want to find the rule.)

Rita
From 2010-2011 POE
2. SPORTING BEHAVIOR. Teams entering the gymnasium prior to the contest should not run through the area occupied by the opposing team or under the basket where opponents are warming up. Teams should only enter, jog and warm up on their half of the court. Gatherings intended to motivate a team after the warm-up period, during or following player introductions and post-game celebrations should be performed in the area directly in front of the team bench. If during the pre-game or half-time warm-up period one team leaves the floor, the other team may not use the entire court; teams may only warm up on their half of the court. Only authorized personnel (cheerleaders, athletic trainers, managers, administrators, etc.) should be permitted on the floor; all spectators should be in designated areas.
=================================
I guess it's preventative to avoid unsporting fouls:

4-5-ART. 2

Each team's basket for practice before the game and for the first half shall be the one farther from its team bench.

4-19-14

An unsporting foul is a noncontact technical foul which consists of unfair, unethical, dishonorable conduct or any behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 02:06pm
Esteemed Participant

Rita, if I remember correctly you are in Washington State...the interpretation from the WIAA is that teams doing the run around the whole court thing are to be assessed a technical foul. That is not the NFHS ruling, just the WIAA ruling. You would need to go to the WIAA website to find their interpretation.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Rita, if I remember correctly you are in Washington State...the interpretation from the WIAA is that teams doing the run around the whole court thing are to be assessed a technical foul. That is not the NFHS ruling, just the WIAA ruling. You would need to go to the WIAA website to find their interpretation.
Wouldn't this be a good question for Cindy Adsit?
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 01:54pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Wouldn't this be a good question for Cindy Adsit?
Not really, as the WIAA already issued the ruling on it two seasons ago, and then reemphasized it on the on-line coaches and on-line officials clinics last season.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Not really, as the WIAA already issued the ruling on it two seasons ago, and then reemphasized it on the on-line coaches and on-line officials clinics last season.
Something the WIAA is lacking on is the allowing of the public to view those online rules clinics. That was originally one of my resources, until for some reason, the public versions never came to be.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Something the WIAA is lacking on is the allowing of the public to view those online rules clinics. That was originally one of my resources, until for some reason, the public versions never came to be.
You probably ruined it for everyone.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
LOL!!!!

Peace
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
LOL!!!!

Peace
The disallowing of the public being allowed to view the online rules clinics is something that I did not create.

The change was done via the state office without me doing anything.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 05:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The disallowing of the public being allowed to view the online rules clinics is something that I did not create.

The change was done via the state office without me doing anything.
The sad part is you do not realize that what Bob said was called sarcasm. I doubt seriously that the state would worry about what you think personally or did so just because of you.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why does the public need to see it? Officials need it. Coaches need it. The public does not.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 11:17pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Why does the public need to see it? Officials need it. Coaches need it. The public does not.
Who said anything about "needing" to see it? What is wrong with making an online rules clinic/tutorial available for public viewing?
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
To allow the general public a chance to have an understanding of the rules of the game.