The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:58pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
The device may be present on the bench, but if it is not being used then there is no rule being broken.
Fixed that for you.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Anyone else think this rule is somewhat foolish and irrelevant now?

I see no harm in a coach using an Ipad to diagram a play. Am I alone?
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 07:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post

If he wants to use an Etch a Scetch, you're right. Problem is the iPad is capable of so much more.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 10:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post

I think the rule is more relevant now than it was when I started. We barely had cell phones or they were not very popular. People now can transmit things with an IPad or tablet a lot easier than you can many other things from outside of the bench. Also remember that the rule outlaws video as well being used in that situation. So it is a little more than diagramming a play that is at issue on an IPad.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 01:17pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think the rule is more relevant now than it was when I started. We barely had cell phones or they were not very popular. People now can transmit things with an IPad or tablet a lot easier than you can many other things from outside of the bench. Also remember that the rule outlaws video as well being used in that situation. So it is a little more than diagramming a play that is at issue on an IPad.

Peace
Agreed...with an ipad they can show the team videos of what is going on on the court and use that to discuss things. I know, 60 seconds isn't a lot of time...but those things do way more than keep stats and draw plays.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 02:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Agreed...with an ipad they can show the team videos of what is going on on the court and use that to discuss things. I know, 60 seconds isn't a lot of time...but those things do way more than keep stats and draw plays.
Yep, and without the rule, there's nothing to prevent the coach from using the iPad to re-run video he'd shown the team before, reminding them of points he'd discussed previously.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 12:35pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
10-2-3: A team may not:

Use television monitoring or replay equipment or computers (other
than for statistics) for coaching purposes during the game or any intermission or
use a megaphone or any mechanical sounding device or any electronic
transmission device at courtside for coaching purposes, or electronic equipment
for voice communication with players.
This is a hot button issue in So Cal right now...Our state instructional chair told us to shut down the IPADS on the bench! Too hard for us to determine if they are used for stats only or coaching purposes..so shut them down!

Has this been an issue in other parts of the Country?
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Football has coaches sitting "upstairs" in a booth transmitting to coaches on the sideline. Why should basketball be special?

(Not using an iPad yet, nor am I planning on, nor am I saying we need a rule change, just sayin)

And I need to get my post count up. The eagle has doubled me up and I have been a member almost 3 years more....
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Football has coaches sitting "upstairs" in a booth transmitting to coaches on the sideline. Why should basketball be special?

(Not using an iPad yet, nor am I planning on, nor am I saying we need a rule change, just sayin)

And I need to get my post count up. The eagle has doubled me up and I have been a member almost 3 years more....
Well it is a different sport. And for the record football has similar rules as it relates to using phones and computers and pictures for coaching purposes.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
"transmission device" pretty much covers about anything that could be used to send or receive information form/to anywhere.
Cam,

This is technically not correct. The prohibition on use of transmission devices technically only applies to devices capable of transmitting a signal - technically a receive only device would not be illegal as it does not fall under the definition of a transmission device. Since IPads, cell phones, etc. are capable of both transmitting & receiving, it's a moot point for the purposes of this discussion.

That said, I agree with the rest of what you posted. Personally I don't see using an IPad white board ap as a big problem in and of itself - the real problem is that because of the many other capabilities of these devices, there's no way to guarantee that they wouldn't be used for a prohibited purpose.

Last edited by TimTaylor; Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 02:43pm.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
This is a hot button issue in So Cal right now...Our state instructional chair told us to shut down the IPADS on the bench! Too hard for us to determine if they are used for stats only or coaching purposes..so shut them down!

Has this been an issue in other parts of the Country?
Hasn't been an issue here yet that I'm aware of. Easy fix if they want to use it for stats is the person using it to do so can't be at the bench - no reason they couldn't be in the first row of the bleachers behind the bench though......
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 03:22pm
Back from the DL

This is one rule I think we can do without. We want our schools to be technologically advanced and prepare our kids for the future, but don't allow using such tools in a game? I think we should be encouraging such use.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 03:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post

Now there's a worthy ambition. Be more like the eagle.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Head Basketball Coaches and Basketball Officials:

I just received an email from Missouri State adressing the iPad issue.
=====
The purpose of this email to clarify the use of iPads and other personal computers by coaches during basketball contests.

NFHS Basketball Rule 10-1-3:

Use television monitoring or replay equipment or computers (other than for statistics) for coaching purposes during the game or any intermission or use a megaphone or any mechanical sounding device or any electronic transmission device at courtside for coaching purposes, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players.

NFHS Office has issued the following statement:

“The use of an iPad or computer is approved as long as they are just replacing a traditional paper alternative, they would meet the spirit and intent of the rule and be permitted. If they are being used to review video or some type of electronic communication, they are prohibited.”

The penalty for violating rule 10-1-3 is a team technical foul. Please refer to the NFHS Basketball Case Book: 10.1.3A and 10.1.3B for examples.

**Applications are available for the ipad to be used like a marker board. This is acceptable as long as it is not used to review video or other forms of electronic communication.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 04:05pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post

NFHS Office has issued the following statement:

“The use of an iPad or computer is approved as long as they are just replacing a traditional paper alternative, they would meet the spirit and intent of the rule and be permitted. If they are being used to review video or some type of electronic communication, they are prohibited.”

The penalty for violating rule 10-1-3 is a team technical foul. Please refer to the NFHS Basketball Case Book: 10.1.3A and 10.1.3B for examples.

**Applications are available for the ipad to be used like a marker board. This is acceptable as long as it is not used to review video or other forms of electronic communication.
So how are you going to go about checking? Sounds like something that was put out knowing that officials will have a difficult time enforcing it thereby making it just an exercise in communicating an interpretation.