The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What are you living in, Fantasy land? No one gives a darn about rapport with people that still do not know how to do their job.

I do not care what the damn book says if the people you claim should read it have no idea what that is. Just like many coaches do not know what a rulebook looks like, I think even less table people even know what an Official's Manual is, let alone what the NF is. Do you know how many cheat sheets or guidelines many of has seen over the years. I even know officials that give the table a little sheet to cover guidelines and they still screw up basic stuff. Again if table people would not screw up basic stuff like the darn possession arrow, then maybe I would have more faith in their ability to start and stop a clock appropriately outside of the game clock. You cannot be that ignit can you?

Peace
Did no one get my message about going back on topic concerning iPads being present on the bench?
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Did no one get my message about going back on topic concerning iPads being present on the bench?
You don't get to decide what people post, partner. It's a discussion board, which means people will discuss what they want to.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 08:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Did you get the message this is an officiating site, not one for scorekeepers and timers? When that happens then I will worry about what you want to talk about.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 08:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Did you get the message this is an officiating site, not one for scorekeepers and timers? When that happens then I will worry about what you want to talk about.

Peace
I don't think it will ever come to this for me......

Now, back on topic!
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure everyone who cares saw it.

It would be great if (almost) everyone who works the table took it more seriously. That's not going to happen. Especially at lower level games, the table crew might be picked just a few minutes before the game.

It would also be good if one person who works the table took it less seriously.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 09:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Back on topic:

How often do you see bench personnel with a computer/tablet during the game?
Quote:
No.

Two brides, one stone.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 01:59pm
Esteemed Participant

I had the same exact scenario last season (towards the end of the season). Assistant coach sitting on bench with an I-Pad. He said "But I'm just using if to take stats!" Told him I didn't care, that it had the capability to transmit and receive and he couldn't use it.

They "protested" the game...the local Association passed that on to the state. State said that the officials were correct in not allowing it to be used.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I had the same exact scenario last season (towards the end of the season). Assistant coach sitting on bench with an I-Pad. He said "But I'm just using if to take stats!" Told him I didn't care, that it had the capability to transmit and receive and he couldn't use it.

They "protested" the game...the local Association passed that on to the state. State said that the officials were correct in not allowing it to be used.
That sounds as if there is to be no transmission devices or electronic devices on the bench whatsoever.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:08pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
That sounds as if there is to be no transmission devices or electronic devices on the bench whatsoever.
Note the verb "use" in rocky's post?
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Technically 2.1 states that table personnel are officials. The Table Officials are present to assist the game officials.

So if the state says no electonic devices that can transmit/receive are allowed on the bench, then 10.1.3 disallows the coach and other bench personnel from even having a cell phone on his/her personage.

But then an individual's interpretation may vary.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Note the verb "use" in rocky's post?
I also stated, by using "if", that it was not a definite answer to the solution. Same like with cell phones, it all depends on a person's interpretation of the rule.

Some may look at it as no electronic devices allowed at all. Others may look at it as devices allowed if not being used during the game (out of sight, out of mind).
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Technically 2.1 states that table personnel are officials. The Table Officials are present to assist the game officials.
No, it doesn't. It says that the timer and scorer are assistants. Completely different.

Quote:
ISome may look at it as no electronic devices allowed at all.
Only one looks at it this way, and he is wrong.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Very true, also more than likely most table personnel do not know about the rule book.

I've noticed over the past couple of years, that I'm the only table personnel that has reference materials present at the table.
I always made it a point to carry the rule book and the case book whenever I worked the scorebook at a game. The only problem with it was, there were some officials that thought that I was trying to one-up them, or that I was one of those "parents of one of the players who thought he knew everything just because he shelled out for a rulebook". (Case in point: the visiting team changed one of its starters just before the start of the game, and when I pointed it out to the umpire, his response was, "Well, did both teams have their starting lineups in ten minutes before the start?"; the only reason I didn't respond, "Isn't checking the book at the 10-minute mark to make sure the starters are there your job?", was because I didn't want to risk a technical being called for some strange reason.)
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
"Isn't checking the book at the 10-minute mark to make sure the starters are there your job?", was because I didn't want to risk a technical being called for some strange reason.)
We have a lot of responsibilities and one of yours is to know what that is. Obviously there are people here that do not know their place, role or responsibilities and right now it is not the officials in this thread. And you wonder why officials do not trust many of you? There you go.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No, it doesn't. It says that the timer and scorer are assistants. Completely different.

Only one looks at it this way, and he is wrong.
Actually I'm of the thinking of "Out of sight, out of mind". The device may be present on the bench, but if it is not being used why worry about it.