The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Common misconception

I've been attending the new officials class. I did get patched last year, so I'm just doing it to try and build my rules knowledge. Plus I'm a junkie for talking basketball.

A point of discussion last night and I'm not sure where this came from, but I've had this debate at least 5 times.

On a technical or intentional, the non shooting players do not have to go to the other side of the half-court line. The non-shooting players simply have to be above the free throw line extended and beyond the three point arc, just like any other free throw. On a technical or intentional the lane is unoccupied.

Have others had this same debate?
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I've been attending the new officials class. I did get patched last year, so I'm just doing it to try and build my rules knowledge. Plus I'm a junkie for talking basketball.

A point of discussion last night and I'm not sure where this came from, but I've had this debate at least 5 times.

On a technical or intentional, the non shooting players do not have to go to the other side of the half-court line. The non-shooting players simply have to be above the free throw line extended and beyond the three point arc, just like any other free throw. On a technical or intentional the lane is unoccupied.

Have others had this same debate?
Calling BillyMac... come in BillyMac!
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Just ask them to give you a rules reference to where players must be behind the halfcourt line during free throws with no line up. When they can't find it, you can tell them because the only restrictions are behind the 3 point arc, above the FT line extended.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 01:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well I teach a new official's class and yes I have had to explain to officials that the rules do not drastically change on these FT situations. It is one of those myths that people think applies when it does not. Also this is not just a problem with coaches or players and fans; it applies to officials that believe they must be there as well. Also many times players go there anyway so it is not always a big deal, but if the team wants to talk to their coach as long as they stay above the FT line and outside of the 3 point area they are fine. I have seen officials prevent players from talking to their coach or going by the bench when they are not doing anything illegal.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 05:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

On free throws, there is a maximum of two offensive players and four defensive players in the six marked lane spaces. The defense must be in the first marked lane spaces, above the neutral zone marks, on all free throws. The offense must not occupy the first marked lane spaces, above the neutral zone marks. The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spaces must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane.

Players, other than the shooter, and the players in the designated lane spaces, are to remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc, and may not penetrate the free throw line extended and the three point arc until the ball hits rim or backboard. During a free throw, no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower. For free throws when there are no rebounders in the marked lane spaces, i.e. technical fouls and intentional fouls, the nine nonshooters shall remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 11:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Calling BillyMac... come in BillyMac!
Curse you.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2011, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well I teach a new official's class and yes I have had to explain to officials that the rules do not drastically change on these FT situations. It is one of those myths that people think applies when it does not. Also this is not just a problem with coaches or players and fans; it applies to officials that believe they must be there as well. Also many times players go there anyway so it is not always a big deal, but if the team wants to talk to their coach as long as they stay above the FT line and outside of the 3 point area they are fine. I have seen officials prevent players from talking to their coach or going by the bench when they are not doing anything illegal.

Peace
Yep, me too. Not young, inexperienced officials either. Guys that are well-respected and get all the big games locally.