Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Derek Jeeter dislocated his shoulder tonight. Chance he'll
be gone for the season, depending on what the tests show.

Anybody got a shortstop they ain't using? Prefer World Series experience but willing to train on the job.

BTW, is it right to be playing baseball March 31???? I mean, really...

The media fawns over Jeter so much that they'll probably give him the AL MVP award for his "clubhouse leadership" after Steinbrenner buys Tejada for this season and they win the AL East again.

Here's a discussion topic: Derek Jeter, most overrated player ever? He's not even one of the five best shortstops in the American League.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 09:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Where's my hug?

Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:

Here's a discussion topic: Derek Jeter, most overrated player ever? He's not even one of the five best shortstops in the American League.
Well, I dunno about that, but he's certainly one of the best SS's currently playing for the Yankees, if you ignore Soriano, who's fitting in at 2nd pretty nicely. Anyway, being a coach I'm sure you undersand the concept of the team leader, and Jeter fills that role quite well.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:

Well, I dunno about that, but he's certainly one of the best SS's currently playing for the Yankees, if you ignore Soriano, who's fitting in at 2nd pretty nicely. Anyway, being a coach I'm sure you undersand the concept of the team leader, and Jeter fills that role quite well.
Major League Baseball is the place that a good leader is least necessary. It barely qualifies as a team sport. I love baseball, but it's not much more of a team sport than the Ryder Cup.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:

Major League Baseball is the place that a good leader is least necessary. It barely qualifies as a team sport. I love baseball, but it's not much more of a team sport than the Ryder Cup.
OK...puts an end to that.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
OK...puts an end to that.
Somehow, you don't sound convinced. . .
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 11:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Well, I dunno about that, but he's certainly one of the best SS's currently playing for the Yankees, if you ignore Soriano, who's fitting in at 2nd pretty nicely.
Damion Easley - F4
Soriano - F6
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Well, I dunno about that, but he's certainly one of the best SS's currently playing for the Yankees, if you ignore Soriano, who's fitting in at 2nd pretty nicely.
Damion Easley - F4
Soriano - F6
Yeah, I think that's what's gonna happen.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

you guys won't like me but go Yanks!! i feel sorry for Jeter-My dad (rest his soul) brought me up on the Yanks and i still root for them

Nice being up here in New England listening to those red sox fans today --u would have thought it was the worl series-
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

I can't believe no one has said anything about my beloved Cubs! On to a 15-2 Victory over the Mets. I think this is the year of the CUB!!! Go Cubs!
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra1
I can't believe no one has said anything about my beloved Cubs! On to a 15-2 Victory over the Mets. I think this is the year of the CUB!!! Go Cubs!
Come on....it was the Mets!! I really do like Sosa. I was hoping he would go to the Yankees last year.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I've said this before, but I hate the Jim Rome show. However, it's on in my area when I'm often in my car, and when there's nothing else on the radio, I'll flip over to hear if there's a decent interview.

Anyway, yesterday Skip Bayless was filling in for Rome and said that Sosa is "the biggest phoney in baseball". Does anybody know what the basis for such a claim might be? That's literally the first time I've ever heard anybody say anything negative about him (except for whispered questions about steroid use). Any ideas?

I also heard that C-U-B-S stands for Completely Useless By September
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Anyway, yesterday Skip Bayless was filling in for Rome and said that Sosa is "the biggest phoney in baseball".
I don't know if this is what he meant, but someone in one of the Chicago papers had (something like) this prediction for the season:

Sosa hits 55 homers. 50 are with no one on base or with the Cubs behind by 8 runs in the 8th inning.

IOW, he doesn't get the big hit.

There are also rumors about his presence in the clubhouse causing some unrest -- he likes to play his loud, Latin music and doesn't (seem to) care how that affects his teammates.

Plus, it was "big news" that he showed up on-tiome for spring training this year -- he typically reports at the very last minute.

Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

GO CUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Cubs win! Cubs wiiiin!