The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Assigner protocol

Does anyone else have an assigner that charges the officials for the use of their assigning website? (HorizonRef, Arbiter, etc.)
Just wondering.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Yes.

Some do, some don't.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 09:19am
I miss being on the floor

We here in the Chicago area use Arbiter, and had to pay a fee last season. I forget how much it was, but it wasn't much.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I have 4 assignors, they all do.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 11:38am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

I have two assignors who use Camron Rust's RefTown. There's no fee to us and it's a great assigning program.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Yes. I pay between $5 and $10 to each assignor for the Arbiter. This is (mostly) the fee that they pay for each email address they have on the Arbiter. (Some tack on a few dollars as profit...or to pay someone more tech-savvy to help them with it.) Assignors here are not willing to absorb the cost of several hundred officials (@$5-$8 each) and school districts are not willing to pay assignors anything extra, but now are requiring the Arbiter be used by assignors.

It's a business. The assignors are entitled to make money for their services. I find the fee a bargain for the convenience and reliability it provides me.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Some of our (RefTown) client organizations pass a fee on to their members, some don't. Some embed it as part of their "dues". Some itemize it separately. Some cover it out of their cut of the game fees.

Of those that explicitly charge a web fee, some do so at the same rate we charge the organization, some mark it up (perhaps including other expenses in the amount).

The most common, however, is to embed it in the yearly dues.

The amount RefTown charges is about $3 per official (somewhat less for large organizations)....so it isn't much per official however they chose to cover it.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 12:26pm.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 12:35pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Some embed it as part of their "dues".
That's what our board does, using Arbiter.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate the feedback. This was a new one for me, but I guess I'm not surprised with any of the posts. I agree that it's a very, very small percentage of my revenue and there is definitely a convenience factor.

Now if I could just get them all to use the same system so I don't have three different calendars to update every time I get a new assignment.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2011, 04:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMoines View Post
I appreciate the feedback. This was a new one for me, but I guess I'm not surprised with any of the posts. I agree that it's a very, very small percentage of my revenue and there is definitely a convenience factor.
This is the benefit of the schools and we were sold that the schools loved it and used it to their benefit by having all the information about the officials. But when I go to the schools I still have to fill out information that is already listed on the Arbiter from address to Social Security number. And this past week I worked a game that I have had since March and I they had no record of me. This is getting old and silly. I would rather go back to where emails were used if I have to do the same things I did before to prove I am on a game. Granted we did not pay a lot, but the fact that we were told we must keep things up to date or else because the schools use the information, then if they do not use the information what is the point?

Off my soapbox for now!!

Peace
Old Tue Sep 20, 2011, 06:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Land Of Steady Habits ...

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we paid our assigner $26,775.00 for the 2010-11 season, plus we pay $2000.00 to use Arbiter. Most of this money came from our 7% assignment fee, $34,700.00 in these fees for the 2010-11 season. Our annual dues, most recently, $115.00, are usually kept independent of assignment fees.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 20, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we paid our assigner $26,775.00 for the 2010-11 season, plus we pay $2000.00 to use Arbiter. Most of this money came from our 7% assignment fee, $34,700.00 in these fees for the 2010-11 season. Our annual dues, most recently, $115.00, are usually kept independent of assignment fees.
Wow, is the 7% assignment fee paid by the referee or the the schools?

If by the referees 7% plus $115 is pretty stout.

How many Schools are being assigned?
Old Tue Sep 20, 2011, 10:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Wow, is the 7% assignment fee paid by the referee or the the schools?
What's the difference? In the end, the fee is paid for by the officials. If the school is willing to pay $100 and they have to pay a $7 per game fee, they aren't going to pay $107. It means $93 goes to the officials.

It's up to the assignor to tell the officials that either it's (1) $100 minus a $7 fee or just $93 with no mention of fees. Assignors aren't doing this for their health.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2011, 01:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That is a lot of money to pay an assignor. I guess for the person that is good thing, but that seems a little steep. How many schools are involved?

Peace
Old Tue Sep 20, 2011, 05:52pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is a lot of money to pay an assignor. I guess for the person that is good thing, but that seems a little steep. How many schools are involved?

Peace
I know of an assigner (high school) in an area I used to live in that makes $100,000 per year. He had so much power he was trying to get two areas to allow him to make the schedule...the game schedule as in he is the assigner and he would decide when school A played school B.