The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Additional information, rocky. Padgett narrow hisa choices to Kansas and Carolina, before deciding that he wanted to play for Roy Williams. Padgett, and the other recruits, have these options.

1) Stay at Kansas
2) Transfer to Carolina (withdraw from his commitment) and have to sit out his first year at Carolina.
3) Transfer to Carolina (withdraw from his commitment) and not accept a scholarship his first year and pay his own way...in which then he could play his first year.
4) Kansas admission's office could deny him admissions and then he could play for Carolina his first year.
5)Transfer to a non-D1 school and play without sitting out.

Also, Kansas would have to signoff on any release from the letter of intent.

Info on Padgett:
Height: 6-11
Weight: 240
Position: Center
High School: Reno High School (Reno, NV)
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Those of us in Reno who have had to officiate games involving the Padgetts (the father was the coach) think this couldn't have worked out better! Oh the Karma!!!
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Those of us in Reno who have had to officiate games involving the Padgetts (the father was the coach) think this couldn't have worked out better! Oh the Karma!!!
A bit of a pain, eh?
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 09:25am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Additional information, rocky. Padgett narrow hisa choices to Kansas and Carolina, before deciding that he wanted to play for Roy Williams. Padgett, and the other recruits, have these options.

1) Stay at Kansas
2) Transfer to Carolina (withdraw from his commitment) and have to sit out his first year at Carolina.
3) Transfer to Carolina (withdraw from his commitment) and not accept a scholarship his first year and pay his own way...in which then he could play his first year.
4) Kansas admission's office could deny him admissions and then he could play for Carolina his first year.
5)Transfer to a non-D1 school and play without sitting out.

Also, Kansas would have to signoff on any release from the letter of intent.

Info on Padgett:
Height: 6-11
Weight: 240
Position: Center
High School: Reno High School (Reno, NV)
Thanks Tony...it just doesn't seem right to me that these coaches can break their contracts with schools and suffer no penalties, but players who signed to play for that coach - and we all know that's usually who they sign with (the coach, not the school) - get penalized if they try to get out of their contract...
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Thanks Tony...it just doesn't seem right to me that these coaches can break their contracts with schools and suffer no penalties, but players who signed to play for that coach - and we all know that's usually who they sign with (the coach, not the school) - get penalized if they try to get out of their contract...
From the text of the National Letter of Intent:

19. If Coach Leaves. I understand that I have signed this NLI with the institution and not for a particular sport or individual. For example, if the coach leaves the institution or the sports program, I remain bound by the provisions of this NLI.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 12:58pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach

From the text of the National Letter of Intent:

19. If Coach Leaves. I understand that I have signed this NLI with the institution and not for a particular sport or individual. For example, if the coach leaves the institution or the sports program, I remain bound by the provisions of this NLI.
Yeah, I get it...it still seems wrong that a coach can sit there and tell the kid and parents "Nope. I am not leaving", the kid signs to play for that coach - and again, it's the coaching staff who recruits and convinces the kid to come and play for them - and then when the coach leaves, the kid is stuck...who knows if the new Kansas coach will have the same coaching style, personality traits, game plans, etc., that attracteed that kid to play for the leaving coach...if the coach can break his/her contract and leave, why can't the players?