Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Tony nailed it!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
It seems the issue was not coaching. It seemed like he had player's complaining with their parents. What is up with that? What was he doing or saying to them? Are we going to here about things Bobby Knight was accused of in Indiana?
No, nothing like that. No chokings, throwing chairs or threatening superiors. However Doherty, from day one, isolated himself. From firing office employee's to refusing to have Phil Ford as an assistant. He was at times unapproachable and overly intense. Throw into the mix that every year he was at UNC, he had players either leave the school via going transfer and/or turning pro. Add the on-court situation at the Duke game in Chapel Hill and the MASS DEFECTIONS that would have taken place if he had been retained.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
I am going to going to say that Roy Williams is staying put at Kansas. I do not believe that Roy Williams is leaving Kansas.
I'll go on out on a limb and say it's a done deal. No deal has been signed but I feel sure a committment has been made. As Chuck pointed out, he hasn't said that he would not take the UNC job if offered. He simply keeps dodging the questions.

There were two reasons he stayed at Kansas in 2000. #1, Bob Fredericks, the former Kansas AD and longtime friend who talked Roy into staying three years ago, is gone and Roy is not at all happy with the present AD. #2, in 2000, Collison and Hinrich had just finished their freshman year. He had a committment to those two kids.

With all that, it's been widely rumored that Williams has admitted to Dean Smith that he made a mistake in not taking the job 3 years ago.

He won't make that same mistake again.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
As for Williams, he is less than enamored with the new Kansas AD. When he decided to stay 3 years ago, he had two freshmen on the team. Those freshmen are now seniors.
Kansas AD was fired today. What's the thinking now at UNC?

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO, they obviously fired him to keep Williams at Kansas, no matter what the chancellor may say.

FACTS:

1- Smith met with Williams at his hotel after the Syracuse game. Williams said the job wasn't discussed.

2- Smith called Williams Tuesday night to tell him the the ob would be formally offered.

3- Dick Baddour called KU Wednesday morning to ask for permission to talk with Williams.

4- Wiliams cancelled his recruiting trip plans for Wednesday and Thursday.

5- He has been offered the job.

6- Bohl says Williams "crushed" him.

RUMORS:

1- There was a team meeting tonight at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence.

2- Williams is scheduled to fly to NC on Thursday

3- There is a press conference scheduled for tomorrow afternoon in Chapel Hill.

JUST ME:

I still think he's coming. I feel confident that the call from Smith on Tuesday night was to confirm that Roy would take the job if offered. I don't believe they would have offered him the job again unless he had assured Smith he would come.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Well, I told ya so!

HOW 'BOUT THEM HEELS!!!
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 09:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Well, I told ya so!

HOW 'BOUT THEM HEELS!!!

UDAMAN!
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef

BktBallRef gets another call correct... Savvy Hoops knowledge, that boy from NC has....
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I told ya so!

HOW 'BOUT THEM HEELS!!!
Won't help you, still gotta play Duke twice a year.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

As a Sixers fan, I'm relieved to hear that Williams took the job, because that means Coach Brown is staying put. But here's what I don't understand. Why would UNC rather have Williams than Brown? Brown said that if Dean asked him, he'd come. But Williams was their first choice? Maybe last time, when things were going well in Carolina, but now they are in turmoil and need to turn it around. That's Coach Brown's specialty.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Maybe last time, when things were going well in Carolina, but now they are in turmoil and need to turn it around. That's Coach Brown's specialty.
I thought Coach Brown's specialty was NOT staying long enough at a university to unpack his suitcase (i.e. UCLA, Kansas).

Carolina got the man for them. If they want to take control of the ACC back, Coach Williams is the man to do it.

My question is, where if anywhere will Doherty land? Hopefully, he can show what he learned in the past three years and coach at the collegiate level again.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 12:05pm
Esteemed Participant

A quick question...the newspaper out here talked about Williams being upset and sad about the three HS kids he recruited who signed letters of intent to play for him at Kansas...can those kids back out of those letters of intent now that he has left, or are they locked into Kansas? If they do back out, are there penalties? Sorry, that's two questions...having a hard time counting today!
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wizard
My question is, where if anywhere will Doherty land? Hopefully, he can show what he learned in the past three years and coach at the collegiate level again.
Some of the local sports radio guys here were saying that Doherty may need to take a second level D1 program, they mentioned Clemson or Minnesota, for a few years until the memory of his tantrum at UNC dies down....

It's sports talk radio, take it for what its worth
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
they mentioned Clemson or Minnesota,
I didn't know Minnesota was up for grabs.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
A quick question...the newspaper out here talked about Williams being upset and sad about the three HS kids he recruited who signed letters of intent to play for him at Kansas...can those kids back out of those letters of intent now that he has left, or are they locked into Kansas? If they do back out, are there penalties? Sorry, that's two questions...having a hard time counting today!
I'm no expert on NCAA regulations, but I believe if these three kids opt to transfer to another D1 school, they will need to sit out one year before they can play for the other school. They signed with a school, not a coach.

If they transfer to a D2, D3, or NAIA school, they do not forfeit a year of eligibility.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Well, I told ya so!

HOW 'BOUT THEM HEELS!!!
Won't help you, still gotta play Duke twice a year.
HA! I heard K is considering retiring after yesterday's announcement!

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
As a Sixers fan, I'm relieved to hear that Williams took the job, because that means Coach Brown is staying put. But here's what I don't understand. Why would UNC rather have Williams than Brown? Brown said that if Dean asked him, he'd come. But Williams was their first choice? Maybe last time, when things were going well in Carolina, but now they are in turmoil and need to turn it around. That's Coach Brown's specialty.
Larry Brown is 63 yers old. Williams is in his late 40's or early 50's. He'll coach at least another 15 to 20 years. And, I don't know if it weighed into their decision but Brown had short stays at UCLA and Kansas and both schools ended up on probation for things that occurred before he left. Personally, I would rather they go outside the "Carolina family" than hire Brown.

Quote:
Originally posted by wizard
My understanding is that he is moving to Charlotte and will work in television next year before posibly returning to coaching the following year.

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
They have all signed letter of intent. Therefore, they are bound to Kansas, unless they choose an non-D1 school or sit out a year.

I heard the David Padgett's father was very unhappy, since Williams sat in their living room and told them he wasn't going anywhere. But what's one to do? Things happen.