The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Attended an Illinois Boys SuperSectional game last night and saw something I didn't think was correct.

Late in the 4th quater of an 8 point game, Team A is shooting a 2nd Free Throw when a fan of Team B pops a balloon. The crowd had been informed several times that they could not use artificial noisemakers during the game, including one warning about popping balloons.

After the shot (missed and rebounded by B), one of the officials blows the whistle, gathers his partners and heads for the scorers table. The PA announcer announces that artifical noisemakers are illegal and a Technical Foul can be assessed, as well as the person responsible being ejected. Then he announces that Technical Foul has been called and Team A will shoot 2 Free Throws. I don't recall the rule book giving the official the leeway to call a Technical in this situation.

While the call probably did not change the outcome of the game, it did end any chance for Team B to catch up. 8 points in 2 minutes is difficult to make up but not impossible, but adding the 1st made free throw, 2 made technicals, and the 2 points after getting the ball back, along with the time off the clock took any chance of a comeback away from Team B.

Any comments?

Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 10:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
Late in the 4th quater of an 8 point game, Team A is shooting a 2nd Free Throw when a fan of Team B pops a balloon. The crowd had been informed several times that they could not use artificial noisemakers during the game, including one warning about popping balloons.

After the shot (missed and rebounded by B), one of the officials blows the whistle, gathers his partners and heads for the scorers table. The PA announcer announces that artifical noisemakers are illegal and a Technical Foul can be assessed, as well as the person responsible being ejected. Then he announces that Technical Foul has been called and Team A will shoot 2 Free Throws. I don't recall the rule book giving the official the leeway to call a Technical in this situation.

The officials can call a T on a team's supporters-if they have already been warned(as they were above).FED casebook play 1.18(c) covers it.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
the dumbest rule

The absolute dumbest rule in the book. Why are their restrictions on artifical noise makers? What does it add to the game? I've reffed a lot of big games, with a lot of big crowds and they have had noise makers. It makes the game much more enjoyable for the fans, and they players love it to.

It is one rule that has no business being in the book.

here in our area, we waved the noise maker rule until at the league level.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: the dumbest rule

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
The absolute dumbest rule in the book. Why are their restrictions on artifical noise makers? What does it add to the game? I've reffed a lot of big games, with a lot of big crowds and they have had noise makers. It makes the game much more enjoyable for the fans, and they players love it to.

If there is a big crowd and noisemakers just blend in with the din of the crowd, I can see your point. However, if the noisemaker is dramatically above the level of the natural noise then it doesn't belong. It could be an individual noise maker that is used to disconcert a FT shooter (a single very loud drum) or it could be an electronic system. With those, it would become a contest of who can buy the loudest device to play "charge", "De-Fense" or who knows what.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: the dumbest rule

Quote:

This rule, like some others, is there "just in case", IMO.
What if some knucklehead sits behind a team bench blowing a bugle? In a gym with 38 people - including the teams. Without this rule there's no convenient way to make them stop.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

So inturn we penalize fans that have travled many kilometres to the Provincial Championships?

I still don't like it. I think it dettracts from the "fun" atmosphere that players and fans enjoy.

In my playing days we used to love having rowdy fans with noise makers. i think this all goes back to the fact that the people inside the front cover of the NFHS rule book are coaches and adminstrators. Not players, and certainly not referees. This rule really dosen't affect the flow of the game or the ability for fans and players to enjoy th games. This is just one of the rules in my opinion that is a waste of paper.

I think there should be restrictions in place to limit when they can be used, but not flat out prohibit them.

TR
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

How is the technical assessed?

The case book covers that situation, but how is the technical recorded. I assume it is a team technical, but there is nothing in that section that refers to crowd behavior.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

It is recorded as a team foul and counts towards bonus.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 03:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Where did it happen?

Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
Attended an Illinois Boys SuperSectional game last night and saw something I didn't think was correct.

Which Super-Sectional did this take place?

Peace
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: the dumbest rule

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
What if some knucklehead sits behind a team bench blowing a bugle?
Better yet Dan... What if some knucklehead is sitting near the floor blowing a Fox 40 causing the game to stop??? I agree it needs to be there...
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So inturn we penalize fans that have travled many kilometres to the Provincial Championships?
Nah! We don't have Provincial Championships, and we damn sure don't travel kilometres!
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Well we won't hold that against you Mr. Ref.

Like I said there should be some provisions that restrict certain items such as whistles and compressed airhorns etc. But I don't see the harm that a fan filling a water bottle full of rocks and pennys can harm.

TR
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

I guess you've never seen one thrown onto the playing floor, have you?
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I guess you've never seen one thrown onto the playing floor, have you?
Tony,
If that isn't comparing apples to oranges, I don't know what is.
Moose is talking about the noise they make and you completely change the course of the topic and mention objects being thrown onto the playing floor.
Stick to the point, please.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 04:50am
Do not give a damn!!

The rule is needed.

We need a rule so there is so place we can draw a line in the sand. If we take out this rule, officials will have nothing to back up situations that disrupt the game. You do not want the home band playing while the visiting team is trying to communicate there offense.

Peace