View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

One aspect of officiating (basketball and baseball) that I really enjoy is helping newer people along. I only do this if my comments and suggestions are welcome. I can usually find this out quickly by talking to my partner, and getting a feel for how receptive he is. If he is defensive, or seems to "know it all," that ends my efforts. By the way, I am always working to improve myself, so will listen to more experienced officials (who are following proper protocol). Learning is continuous, IMO.

An example this year: A second year ref tells me to point out any things he should work on. At halftime I double check with him that he knows a KICK must be intentional. He clearly called three "kicks" that were inadvertent.
He answered that YES he knows the KICK must be intentional.
I stated that I was just making sure, because a few of the kicks were just feet hitting the ball while players were running in a stampede, and once, the player was looking behind him when his foot contacted the ball in front of him.
He did the "Yeah, but," and defended his calls. Anyway, when that happens I discontinue any feedback.