The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats on all the great games you have already officiated.
Kudos in getting the 1A State Championship game!
I would love to fly out to see your crew...but funds are somewhat low after spending almost $100 a night for a room.
(State only refunds $50 a night) 5 nights of that is about $250 out of pocket. I didn't room with another official because I had my friend come for a couple nights.
They do give us $20 a day for food...but $5 for breakfast, $5 for Lunch, and $10 for dinner...must keep all receipts.
Travel .36 cents a mile...pretty good...traveled 142 miles each way. 284 miles total.

$53.50 per game (4) and $10 per game when alternate (3)

BTW, those receipts for "beverages" at the RAM following the games were not refundable.

RD
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 04:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Yep! I do keep having lotsa fun!
My season ended before I was ready, so tomorrow I'm workin' a 3-man double-header in an Old-timer's tourney just to blow the stink off.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 03:32am
In Memoriam

Well???
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
As Judge Smails might say, "We're waaaaaaaiting!"
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 12:32pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
As Judge Smails might say, "We're waaaaaaaiting!"

Apparently...........you'll get nothing and like it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Alright, alright!

Loud arena, great atmosphere, terrific game, for 27 minutes!

Entire family went which was nice. Since the games were girls, boys, girls, boys, they put the officials in the dressing room on the girls side. Dressed in the NC State Women's Coaches' Locker room.

Took the floor at the 15 minute mark, got the captains at 12. One team seemed pretty loose and talkative, opponent was more subdued. Tested PT, parnter checked the book, met coaches, National Anthem, marched us out to center cirlce and gave us each a plaque. Introduced lineups and we're ready to roll.

I'm U1, jump ball is batted almost directly at me and I know red did it. I whistle, yell, "WHTIE!", wait, look for White's bench and point the right way. The last thing I wanted to do was point the wrong way on the opening play!

First half is very smooth and very fast! I have too more OOB plays immediately, both of which draw a foul call from the Red coach. I'm thinking, "Coach if you think that's a foul, you're in for a long day." Quite honestly, I didn't hear another word out of him all day. The nervous team at the captains' meeting has a slow start. 17-10, fouls 2-1, at the end of the qtr. Second qtr. white picks it up, and it gets a little more physical. Even though this is 1A, both teams have a BIG 6'6" guy battling inside. Red is up 28-26 at the half.

15 minute halftime seemed like forever. 3rd qtr., white gets it together, goes up 34-33. Lead changes hands several times in the 3rd. Late in the qtr., red up 47-44, white's BIG guy goes for a reverse dunk, misses and the ball rebounds long, where red picks it up, feeds their BIG guy for a dunk, 4 point swing, and a bigger momentum swing! Red 50-46 after 3.

Final qtr., red guard hits 2 HUGE threes and suddenly it's a 10 point game. TIMEOUT white! The place is rocking! In no time, it's 68-51 and white is tired and giving up. Fouling out the end fails to close the gap enough to make a game of it. Final score , 75-62.

It was a huge thrill! I may never call another one or I may get 5 more before I'm finished. Either way, I'll never for get the first!
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Alright, alright!

Loud arena, great atmosphere, terrific game, for 27 minutes!

Entire family went which was nice. Since the games were girls, boys, girls, boys, they put the officials in the dressing room on the girls side. Dressed in the NC State Women's Coaches' Locker room.

Took the floor at the 15 minute mark, got the captains at 12. One team seemed pretty loose and talkative, opponent was more subdued. Tested PT, parnter checked the book, met coaches, National Anthem, marched us out to center cirlce and gave us each a plaque. Introduced lineups and we're ready to roll.

I'm U1, jump ball is batted almost directly at me and I know red did it. I whistle, yell, "WHTIE!", wait, look for White's bench and point the right way. The last thing I wanted to do was point the wrong way on the opening play!

First half is very smooth and very fast! I have too more OOB plays immediately, both of which draw a foul call from the Red coach. I'm thinking, "Coach if you think that's a foul, you're in for a long day." Quite honestly, I didn't hear another word out of him all day. The nervous team at the captains' meeting has a slow start. 17-10, fouls 2-1, at the end of the qtr. Second qtr. white picks it up, and it gets a little more physical. Even though this is 1A, both teams have a BIG 6'6" guy battling inside. Red is up 28-26 at the half.

15 minute halftime seemed like forever. 3rd qtr., white gets it together, goes up 34-33. Lead changes hands several times in the 3rd. Late in the qtr., red up 47-44, white's BIG guy goes for a reverse dunk, misses and the ball rebounds long, where red picks it up, feeds their BIG guy for a dunk, 4 point swing, and a bigger momentum swing! Red 50-46 after 3.

Final qtr., red guard hits 2 HUGE threes and suddenly it's a 10 point game. TIMEOUT white! The place is rocking! In no time, it's 68-51 and white is tired and giving up. Fouling out the end fails to close the gap enough to make a game of it. Final score , 75-62.

It was a huge thrill! I may never call another one or I may get 5 more before I'm finished. Either way, I'll never for get the first!
Sounds like a great game an an even greater experience!
(And good job checking bench location before pointing on the tip off! )

Congratulations again!
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Well, the fouls are 5-0!"

"I know. They haven't failed anyone yet."

He's speechless!

My crew will work the 1A Men's State Championship game, Saturday, 2:30pm at Reynolds Coliseum in Raleigh, NC. Stop by if you have a chance!
Nice comeback.

BTW, congratulation on your tournament assignments.

Read about the Thomasville game. I know that we are not supposed to put ourselves into the game but I would have had a hard time not commenting on the showboating reverse missed dunk. Hope the kid learned something.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 01:41pm
Esteemed Participant

Way to go Tony...nice way to end a season, isn't it!! Congrats again!!