The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What a rush!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7810-what-rush.html)

BktBallRef Fri Mar 07, 2003 01:37am

I'm still in the clouds!

First Regional game tonight, 4A Men's Regional semi, second game of the evening. Lots of guys there from a camp I went to 3 years ago. I was the R. I asked for it to give myself something to focus on, instead of standing on the sideline as U1 orU2, thinking about were I was. My only hope was a good toss, which I did.

Off to a good start, partner gets a foul on a shot about a mintue in. Suddenly, I remember, "Oh, that's why were here." :) Next trip down floor, I get a textbook PC foul. Dribbler spins right into defender. Tweet, fist, hand behind head, report. "Good, we got the first one under our belt."

First half was very smooth. We played 6 minutes in the 1st qtr. before I even looked at the scoreboard. Clocks above the backboards are very nice. No other problems, except a complaint by Coach E about a lane violation. Problem was, the opponent moved in and out of his space before his teammate caught the bounce pass. I got nothing. He had a coniption, then apologized at the half. Fouls were 8-7 and I thought we were very consistent.

Second half was a little more desperate, since somebody's dream is gonna end. Had a count on a dribbler while at trail. Dribbler leaves my area, I still got count, nails B1 between the numbers! Tweet! PC! Not a word from Coach.

I kicked one. A1 picks up his dribble, fumbles, goes and gets it and I TWEETED! :( What a knucklehead! "Sorry little man, I kicked it." Let me have it Jurassic!

Oh well, no need to dwell on it, too much to do. Finished strong. Final score 66-62, lots of pats on the back, etc.

Can't wait to do it again tomorrow night! :D

rainmaker Fri Mar 07, 2003 01:43am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
... lots of pats on the back...
...and some more from me. I wish the guys here were all as good as you. Have a great rest of the week!!

Blackhawk357 Fri Mar 07, 2003 02:02am

Wow, when my State Tournament was over last weekend, I was so mentally drained I was somewhat glad it was over. But after reading that, I wish I was there again this weekend!

Congratulations, and savor the rest of your weekend, enjoy!!

Blackhawk

Jurassic Referee Fri Mar 07, 2003 03:03am

http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoti...ers/fing10.gif

Nuff said!!

JRutledge Fri Mar 07, 2003 04:30am

Early

Is the Regional the very first round of games?

And why do you find out whether you are doing the Finals so early? Not saying you would and I would not wish this on you, but what if an official screwed up? Do they still get that opportunity to advance that far?

Peace

mick Fri Mar 07, 2003 06:50am

Sounds like a good deal.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge

And why do you find out whether you are doing the Finals so early? Not saying you would and I would not wish this on you, but what if an official screwed up? Do they still get that opportunity to advance that far?

Peace

Rut,
Don't forget that they go as a crew in NC.
With that, all the consistency is in place.
mick

dblref Fri Mar 07, 2003 06:59am

Tony: First of all, congrats on the game and I hope it continues throughout the tourney.

Just curious about something. In NC, they go as a crew. Does this happen in other states as well? If if does, how do you feel about it? It doesn't happen in my association although I may work with the same official a number of times during the season, maybe even 2 or 3 nights in a rule. But, this is the exception and not the rule.

mick Fri Mar 07, 2003 07:13am

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
Tony: First of all, congrats on the game and I hope it continues throughout the tourney.

Just curious about something. In NC, they go as a crew. Does this happen in other states as well? If if does, how do you feel about it? It doesn't happen in my association although I may work with the same official a number of times during the season, maybe even 2 or 3 nights in a rule. But, this is the exception and not the rule.

In Michigan, new crews are put together for the Quarterfinals to Finals with little regard as to whether or not an official has even worked a three-whistle game.

It could be, and is, <u>assumed</u> that an experienced official has worked three-whistle, properly, from time to time during the regular season.

mick

BktBallRef Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:55am

Re: Early

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
No, after the conference tourneys, there are 3 sectional games. Winners advance, 4 in each of 4 classes in boys and girls advance to the Eastern and Western Regionals. The Regional tournament(s) is the last two games prior to the State Championship game. So, unless a team has a first round bye in the Sectionals, 6 wins are required to be State Championship.

Quote:

Unless an official was guilty of some type of fraud or other incomprehensible act, I don't think you would see him replaced, just because of a mistake. Officials are carefully chosen, so hopefully, the best people are there. There's defin itely accountability for the people who do the selecting. But you can certainly get stronger games or weaker competition games based on your performance while there. Also, plaques have to be engrave, programs printed, etc. so, the officials xan't be selected at the last minute.

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref

Our particular association uses the crew concept for the entire season. Our crew is completing our 5th year together. But once a crew is slected for the Regionals, you work as many Sectional games as possible and all of your Regional games together.

Years ago, each association sent 2 crews to the Regionals. Then, they started taking 3 crews, saying they would take the 3 best officials to the states. But as far as breaking up a crew to do that, it hasn't happened.

The crew that worked the first 4A Boys game last night, we worked the 2nd game, is also going to the States for a girls game. But they were very strong, and I could see them getting a Boys' game if a scheduled Boys' crew screwed up.

Hopefully, there won't be any screwups.

rockyroad Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:25am

Way to go Tony...keep it up and enjoy every second!!

Jay R Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:02pm

Congratulations?
Sounds like fun.
Jay

BktBallRef Fri Mar 07, 2003 02:51pm

It was a blast! :p

BktBallRef Tue Mar 11, 2003 04:27pm

Well, it was a busy weekend! Our Friday night game was not as close as the Thursday game, although it was just as intense. We had 3A Boys on Friday, seeing one team for the second consecutive time, as we had worked their Sectional Championship game the previous Friday. During the pregame meeting, Coach smiled and said, "Haven't seen you fellows in a while!" Didn't hear another word from him all night.

Game was uneventful for me. Just didn't have a lot going on in my primary. I think I called 4 or 5 fouls the first 30 minutes of the game until the fouling started with about 2 minutes to go. But I did have one fun one! :p

I'm L, tableside. Shot goes up with about 5 seconds left in the 1st qtr., misses and comes off the rim. B1 has inside position, goes up but gets nailed in the back by A1 who tips the ball in at the buzzer. C bangs it home but I came out blowing with the foul, no basket. C was rightfully focusing on the ball and it was my call all the way. Got lots of compliments on the call after the game.

But when the 2nd qtr. starts, guess where the rotation puts me! Yep, directly in front of A's bench.

"How can you make that call? You didn't even see it!"

"Coach, that was the easiest call I've made all day. You're guy nailed him in the back. Easy call."

"Well, the fouls are 5-0!"

"I know. They haven't failed anyone yet." :)

He's speechless!

"Uh...uh...well, I don't know about that."

If I would have looked at him, I would have busted out laughing! :D

Good times. ;)

My crew will work the 1A Men's State Championship game, Saturday, 2:30pm at Reynolds Coliseum in Raleigh, NC. Stop by if you have a chance!

mick Tue Mar 11, 2003 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Well, it was a busy weekend! Our Friday night game was not as close as the Thursday game, although it was just as intense. We had 3A Boys on Friday, seeing one team for the second consecutive time, as we had worked their Sectional Championship game the previous Friday. During the pregame meeting, Coach smiled and said, "Haven't seen you fellows in a while!" Didn't hear another word from him all night.

Game was uneventful for me. Just didn't have a lot going on in my primary. I think I called 4 or 5 fouls the first 30 minutes of the game until the fouling started with about 2 minutes to go. But I did have one fun one! :p

I'm L, tableside. Shot goes up with about 5 seconds left in the 1st qtr., misses and comes off the rim. B1 has inside position, goes up but gets nailed in the back by A1 who tips the ball in at the buzzer. C bangs it home but I came out blowing with the foul, no basket. C was rightfully focusing on the ball and it was my call all the way. Got lots of compliments on the call after the game.

But when the 2nd qtr. starts, guess where the rotation puts me! Yep, directly in front of A's bench.

"How can you make that call? You didn't even see it!"

"Coach, that was the easiest call I've made all day. You're guy nailed him in the back. Easy call."

"Well, the fouls are 5-0!"

"I know. They haven't failed anyone yet." :)

He's speechless!

"Uh...uh...well, I don't know about that."

If I would have looked at him, I would have busted out laughing! :D

Good times. ;)

My crew will work the 1A Men's State Championship game, Saturday, 2:30pm at Reynolds Coliseum in Raleigh, NC. Stop by if you have a chance!

You keep havin' lotsa fun! :)

BktBallRef Tue Mar 11, 2003 04:43pm

Yep! I do keep having lotsa fun! :D