The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
Do you remember what was you'r best game ever?(untill this day...)you know that after every game we know if we were good or bad but sometimes we knoe that the leavel of the officials are very good and the leavel of the players (and the game)are very bad.
enyone know what i'm talking about?
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 02:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Question How do you judge this?

I think my best is yet to come. I have had games that I thought were bad and everyone thought I was great. I have had games that I thought were great and everyone thought I did bad. This is really a hard thing to figure out for I am sure most of us. Not because we do not think we had a good game, but because we do not have a clear measuring stick to judge this on. Many times I could have had the best game, but the way the game was played by the players, you are never going to look good as an official.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

I think that it's great that both coaches are comming to you in the end of the game and tell you that you did "good job"but i'm sure that in this moment they are thinking of the next time that you will officiat them...but again,i think that it's nice feeling.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: How do you judge this?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I have had games that I thought were bad and everyone thought I was great. I have had games that I thought were great and everyone thought I did bad.

I have had the first experience, but never the second. I had a game just recently where I felt that I was not on the same page with my partners. I felt like I had a whistle every trip down the floor. Walking off the floor, I would have sworn that a casual observer would say that I was trying to be "the show". And my partners just weren't calling very much. A few days later, I worked with one of those same partners and told him how I'd felt about the game. He said that from his perspective, much of the action happened to be coming right at me, just from dumb luck or whatever. He said that he never once felt that I was reaching to make a call. Made me feel a little better about it.

I've never felt that I had a good game and then have somebody tell me that I sucked. I usually know when I suck.

Quote:
Many times I could have had the best game, but the way the game was played by the players, you are never going to look good as an official.
I agree with this statement. Sometimes, it's just not possible to work your best game.

Chuck
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

My best games are when the level of play is at it's best and when my partner and I are in the offiating zone and the flow is just flowing, Both Coaches putting all the energy on their teams and not on the officials. Then both teams thanking us for letting them play. I was clearly in the advantage/disadvantage officiating.
Now! on the other hand I had adult men competitive games last night (club ball) where I was the only one blowing my whistle throughout most of the game (90%)I'd say and the reason being is that my partner never officiated and said to me at half time that he mostly umpires baseball. I replied "no problem at all just to call the obvious." As the game continued I was well informed by the conversation that I was going to carry him once again. Well to make a long story short I called the game because of the unprofessional profanity, misconduct by the players towards me. They felt that I needed to drop that chip on my shoulder but they didn't realize the inexperience of my partner that only blew his whistle when it was completely obvious and had no primary or secondary area. I had my eyes all over the court just to try and keep up. It's those type of games like these that make me appreciate those dedicated hard working basketball officials out there.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

i think that a good game for the refrees is a game that no one remember who was the refrees after the game.
do you agree with me?
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 05:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ROMANO
i think that a good game for the refrees is a game that no one remember who was the refrees after the game.
do you agree with me?
In a way yes. But the problem with that, if the players cannot play and the coaches cannot coach, you can do a great job and you will be noticed. Some of the best games I have personally had is where a lot of fouls were called. Not because we were horrible, but because the game called for that to happen. Calling a certain amount of fouls might keep from things getting completely out of hand. Sometimes doing that is the best thing you can do.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Romano I agree with the last statement as well as your quote
"No call is the best call"
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

BlackFox40
WHY only with the last statement?..
all my statement are true!!
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

ps
fox if you want to talk in the icq,my number is:316804399 i'm waiting for you..
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

My best games seem to come when my partner and I are at the same level- as a realitivly new official, (3 HS seasons) I find when I work with many very experienced refs, they tend to take over a little at times.

It's a subtle thing, I don't suck- I understand my primary, know the rules and normally make my calls with no problem. It's just that when the situation gets strange, they tend to take over. Coach management for instance.

I also work with many very new officials in MS games for instance, where I am the stronger official. That is not the best situation either.

The very best officials I work with don't do this- they let me sink or swim, and thus get better.

Not sure I have made my point very well, but I tried...
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

CAN YOU EXPLAIN ME AGIAN ?PLEASE..
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

" WHY only with the last statement?..
all my statement are true!! "

-Romano

Now!! that my friend is what I call Confidence, I'll officiate with you anytime! Like I've always said "who ever makes the first call, buys the Beers"

Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

ok
but i don't drink beer just coca-kola...and when i'm the refree my quote is "in most of the times no call is the best call"..
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ROMANO
ok
but i don't drink beer just coca-kola...
HEY!! A kindred spirit! Glad I'm not the only one who stays away from the brownpop!

Chuck